1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reluctant to go to GSA...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Noir, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Noir

As a school club, I know that I'm not obligated to go to my campus's GSA. But I kind of feel like I'm obligated to go since many of the people there know me, I went the majority of last year, and I've already attended one or two meetings this year.

I don't really want to go because:

*It's at 8, and kind of late at night when I want to relax in my room after a day of running around
    *I want to be there to greet my sister when she gets off work and hear about her day
    *The club isn't very well fleshed out--we'll talk about a topic informally for maybe ten minutes, and then talk about whatever (the meetings are never very long and don't seem worth it)
    *My ex-girlfriend is there with her new girlfriend, and even though we're still on good terms, I don't really care for her gf's attitude :dry:, plus it's just awkward in general with them there
    *I don't feel like the club is really helping me, since this year I'm pretty comfortable and have come to terms with my orientation

But I feel like I SHOULD go because:

*It feels half-hearted and flaky on my part
    *There are friends who I know would like to see me there
    *The officers recognize me and ask if they'll see me there, putting pressure on me
    *I feel like a quitter :confused:
    *I feel like I might miss the opportunity to meet more LGBT students like me throughout the year (even though I already have a love interest and she doesn't attend)

So, what do you think, EC? Is it worth it to go, or should I just tell them I don't think I can attend this term? :help:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you can re-think that list.

All the 'I don't want to go' items are fine. They are perfectly good reasons, except for maybe the ex's new girlfriend.

The 'should go' list however, you can basically cut down to "I feel like I might miss the opportunity to meet more LGBT students like me throughout the year". You will miss out on this. That is true. But the rest you can get rid of. It's your free time to do what you want with. If you're not getting anything out of it you shouldn't feel compelled to go.

But that's just my opinion.