1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving up on love..

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by standtall00, Oct 23, 2013.

1. standtall00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well my ex/best friend said he loved me back in June. A month later, he said he wasn't sure...so I tried finding a boyfriend so I could just move on and start over. Each time I tried, they just led me on...

I told my ex that I'm giving up on love. He EXPLODED! I seriously don't know why he cares so much? I dunno I feel like giving up on love. It always hurts me in the end...I don't know what to do

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I can see where he's coming from. After all, while it might not have worked out between you two as a couple, he probably still cares about you being happy. Giving up on love might sound like you're giving up on happiness itself.

And, actually, I must disagree with you too.
    Giving up on love, essentially, means not being open to the possibility anymore. That even if it would happen, you'd not even care enough to give it a shot.
    If you ask me, that's going a bit too far. Yeah, maybe you were looking a bit too hard, and getting some bad results. But in that case, what you should do isn't giving up, but saying "Hey, this isn't working too well, so guess I'll have to focus on something else for a while!"

So... looking too hard tends to get you the desperate, or even outright manipulative guys. But what you might need to be doing right now is just pursuing some hobbies, working on school stuff, having fun with friends. And being out and open all the while. Meanwhile, you just see who comes along. It might be a better way than deciding you need a boyfriend and finding just anyone to fit the bill.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Filip's right. I think you're just feeling jaded after a romance that went wrong, but you'll be craving love again. The same thing has happened to me, and I always end up wanting another relationship after the hungover goes away.

Besides, kiddo, you're only 16, and i doubt these relationships that spurned you could have been that serious, so how are you gonna give up on love when you haven't even tasted it?

The lackluster encounters may leave you bitter, but they weren't real love, were they? And when you think about the actual relationships you had, at the totality of it, did the amount of pleasure outweigh the happiness? Obviously the ending hurt, but do you really wish you never dated them?

4. Valyrian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Exactly this. I've experienced this a couple times already, and i was thinking of giving up, too. Hell, i still am but i'll probably get over it eventually.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here' a thought to extend Filip's contribution.

Maybe what you need to give up is your idea of love...maybe the focus of love is not what you can get out of it but what you need to do in order to love someone.

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tbf you are 16 and already have an ex. Your not doing that badly. I probably won't ever have an ex. I'm sure in future you will get more out of a relationship.

7. June Cleaver

At 16 it is common to date and break-up rather quickly. It is part of growing up. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself. Don't expect to get the white picket fence until you are a bit older. After all teen years are all about discovering yourself and transitioning into adulthood. You have plenty of time to fall in love and settle down with a mate in the next few years once you get into your 20's. Don't read too much into it, as more guys will come and go before you get the jewel! It is the experience that will prepare you for the jewel. June