1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm tired...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JakeHas, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JakeHas

hey everyone. So I'm a part of this charity/organization that does a ton of stuff for middle school children that have rough lives or just need a good pick up or turn around in their life. I've become super super involved and I love it, I love the program, I love what they do it's all just amazing! I've been doing it for a couple years, but I'm starting to get worn out... Whenever an event comes up (which is a lot..) and I'm asked to help, I feel like I have no choice but to say yes... Like if I said no I would let a bunch of people down or something.
    I'm tired, I haven't had a free weekend in months... It's come to the point where I no longer look forward to the days helping at the events or all of that. I just don't want to let people down and not be there, and seem weak.

I also have a friend that I have known for a very very long time. She told me she gets depressed a lot about a year ago... I use to be able to help a lot, but it's been wearing me down and now when she needs help I get stuck... Then she finds a way to turn everything on me to make me feel like shit because of it... This mixed with everything else in my life, (I'm not even out all the way yet) doesn't help. Now I just seem sad whenever she see's me because I know every time we talk it's going to be about her being sad, me looking sad/stressed, and she's consistent to know what is wrong which wears on me even more because if I tell her she is making me stressed, she'll get depressed. (it's that easy for her)

I just want to take a break... I want to go on a relaxing vacation with my love and him only. No electronics, no way to contact the real world. Just us so I can finally rejuvenate. I just don't know what to do about all of this. I mean, I'm only 15!! I feel like I'm going to start getting gray hairs if this kind of stress keeps getting put on me!
    I just want everyone to be happy, I hate letting people down...
    Gah, I'm cursed with the nice-guy personality.

#1 JakeHas, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Case

Currently DE. Also, FL, NV, AL and California!
    I've been involved in al lot of different projects and organizations since I was in High School. When you are doing work that is very demanding for a long period of time, you tend to burn-out. What I think you really need is a break. Sometimes taking a month off for you and only doing things for you will be rejuvenating. It's not selfish to take time to take care of yourself. But, you have to let the people you work with know. Let them know that you feel overworked. They will most likely understand. If you are happy and well you will actually be better with whatever you are doing. If you are miserable then you are only doing the minimum of your potential.
    I've been in a situation recently were I was mentally exhausted. It's not fun and can take a long time before you can finally get back to your normal self. I'm still trying to in ways. So don't let yourself get to that point. Worse case, you will lose any enjoyment and may never feel joy about doing that work again.

So, talk to the people you work with. Let them know that you are not feeling comfortable and enjoying the work. Tell them that you need a break or less responsibilities for awhile. You aren't letting anyone down! If anything, by continuing to work in your condition you are letting yourself down and are not giving your best to your cause. So, if you take your break to regroup you will actually be doing everyone better, including yourself.

Please, don't let yourself become burned out. It's not a fun experience. Take care of yourself. Admitting to others and yourself that you need a break shows how self-aware you are, and knowing when you need help. That's a strong person. As long as you let them know, then you don't have to worry about letting anyone down.

Good Luck :slight_smile:

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Jake!

What you're doing is truly admirable, but you can't keep this up and expect to be able to help as much if you are not taking care of yourself too.

You said you are cursed with a nice-guy personality. May I suggest that this is your main problem, which is not that you're such a nice guy, but that you think you're such a nice guy.

The main problem with this is ego. You have in your mind a conception of yourself "the nice guy" and, in order to get the benefits that come with the admiration of you, you will burn yourself out in the process, because it feels so good to be so admired.

Tell your ego to take a hike, your body and your mind are craving rest and you need to be in shape for the happy day you will finally meet your boyfriend!

All the best!

4. Tzoa

I'm not sure what the "nice-guy personality" curse is. That thought just makes me sad. What's so wrong with being nice? Nice guys should be celebrated, not seen as a curse.

That said, I'm incredibly involved at school, so I know what you're going through. What's worse is when I'm the only person who is active in the club, so it sometimes feels like the success or failure of a certain event rests solely on my shoulders. But I'm not the only person in any of the clubs I'm in. I'm not the only responsible member. There are other people in the organization you're in, right? I can't imagine you're the only person running it! I think you need to come to terms with the fact that they will be okay without you every now and then. I'm sure they did alright before you joined. Don't take them asking if you'll be there as them assuming you'll be there. They'll be okay if you take a break every now and then. And you SHOULD take a break! Like you said, you're only 15. You should not be working yourself to gray hairs. You need to take time to unwind. Plus, you can't be much help to people if you're stressed and exhausted all the time.

As to your friend... if she is as depressed as she says she is, then she might need professional help. Friends are great to help, and can be a great support system, but you can't be her sole source of help. You're too young, and that is a lot of responsibility. And, sometimes people cannot be helped. You can give them all the advice, all the hugs, all the help you can all the live long day, but there ARE people who are only happy when they're miserable. I've had family members and friends like this. Support systems and professional help did nothing. They sought out bad news, bad behaviors, bad anything to vent about. I'm not trying to say your friend is definitely like this, but if she turns everything around on you and focuses solely on the negative, it can be the case.

But suggesting she see a counselor or therapist might be your best bet. It sounds like you have a lot of stress and responsibility. Too much will drive you insane.

5. GayNerd

I think that it would definitely be okay if you take a break from the organisation. I mean, it seems like you're using every free moment to go there. I'm sure everybody would understand, considering everything you've already done.

Your friend does seem really depressed. Maybe you could refer her to a Therapist that could help her. If needed, you could even come with her on her first appointment for the Therapist. It might make her feel better, but it ultimately depends upon how she feels about it.

I mean, you're only 15! You shouldn't be wearing yourself out like this.

6. Californiacoast

I commend you on volunteering! That being said, one of life's greatest skills is having the ability to graciously say no. The reason is that as you get older people will recognize your skills/talents and ask you to help them. Before long you can easily be overburdened and stressed out. I once had to tell the Lt. Governor of a state NO to be on her commission because it would have put me over the edge. We all have to look at our limits. Two years ago I resigned from several boards, commissions, clubs and volunteering to take a break. It has been wonderful and no one hates me!

7. JakeHas

I really appreciate it everyone. I have one event this Saturday (tomorrow) with them. I'll attend, and take a nice break from there. I'm sure they will understand.
    Thanks for all of the input, and yes I agree with you all, I'm wearing myself out way too much xD

And as for my friend, she denies to go to someone else for help. Like wont budge. idk, she has seemed to be getting better the past couple months, which is good. I'll just kinda ride that one out.

Thanks once again!

8. JakeHas

Ugh.. I tried talking to my mom about it, because she use to do stuff, and still does here and there, with the organization. I told her I've just been doing it a lot lately and I'm starting to get tired and just need a break. She said that I made a commitment already, and sometimes just have to suck it up with things like this.
    Looks like I'm not getting a break anytime soon...