1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the cons of being a cis-man in comparison to a cis-woman?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by fortheloveoflez, Oct 27, 2013.

1. fortheloveoflez

Cis-woman here, just wondering what you all think :slight_smile:

2. Tzoa

3. fortheloveoflez

except that that is specifically about women. I'm asking the opinion of men. Note how women are primarily posting in that one and talking about what it's like to be a woman. That's definitely different than asking from men's point of view how they feel. Asking a woman about what she likes about being a woman is not the same as asking a man about what he likes about being a man. Furthermore, if you were to ask a woman what she doesn't like being a woman it doesn't mean that that thing she doesn't like correlates as a "plus" for being a man or some one outside of the gender binary. Lastly, often times if you were to ask a woman what she thinks would be cool about being a man...you'd get an answer from some one who clearly doesn't know what that's like but can only take from her observations what that would be like. I'd much rather talk to some one with the actual experience of presenting as male than some one who thinks they know what that's like. Thanks but no thanks your "derp" comment was unneccessary.

#3 fortheloveoflez, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was going to type out a *huge* list of disadvantages, but then realized that a lot of them basically came down to being more restricted by rigid gender roles, which is one reason homosexuality and violence against non-gender conforming men is such a huge phenomenon around the world.

There's the fact that men are less likely to live to old age, compared to women, and several biological differences can explain this, as men are more likely to develop several life threatening diseases. The rest can be traced to gender roles in some way or another...

I also came across a blog online that was basically putting forth a theory that males are the "disposable sex", that they die trying to find a mate, die while mating, or immediately afterwards, which was a bit of a narrow and depressing view, but when you consider how a man's worth is gauged in western society, as a fertile, protective, provider, there seems to be a kernel of truth in it. I'm basically rambling at this point, and sure someone else could give you a much more detailed response.

5. fortheloveoflez

Those are good points. When the Titanic was sinking women and children were saved first. Men were saved last. I do think most of this comes back to reproduction, women's bodies take more of a beating when giving birth whereas men can move to the next person to spread their seed. Because of this if a society were threatened with lack of population growth, the society would much rather have an excess of women than an excess of men to sustain itself. Crude I know and that is quite unfair, I agree. It also pushes down people who are sterile or unable to reproduce for other reasons.

Thank you for your reply!

6. Is this in some way to make a hateful response to the previous post? I just wanted ask that other question. I apologize if that post offended people. I'll just go back to the anonymous forums away from everyone then if that's the case.

7. fortheloveoflez

No! It's not that way at all! Why is this hateful if I am asking cis-men their opinion? I don't quite understand that. You had a question regarding women and mine is just flipped to cis-men and that's different. I'm not a cis-man so I wanted to know their opinion that's all. :slight_smile: Some one just flagged my question as the same as asking women how they felt when in reality my question is different. I just wanted to clarify that I am asking for cis-men's (well I guess any one can comment though) opinions on this one about what it's like to be them. So be merry it's all ok :slight_smile:

#7 fortheloveoflez, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. I'm sorry. I've just been depressed the past week. I didn't mean to post that response on your post and I've been mad at everyone in my life. I apologize for that for directing it toward you.

#8 twospiritlycan, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  9. fortheloveoflez

Oh no :frowning2: I hope things get better soon

10. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Random boners.

That's about it.

11. Tzoa

That's not what I meant by my response at all, actually... It wasn't clear in the title or in the first post that you were asking specifically FOR a cis-man's personal point of view. In the other thread, comparisons were made between cis-men and cis-women, and a lot of what was posted was either statistical data that anyone, cis-men or cis-women, already knew about or gender norms that, again, cis-men and cis-women can both easily recognize. In the previous thread, there were a few "cons of being a cis-man in comparison to a cis-woman" brought up, which is why I thought you would find that conversation interesting. In no way did I say that your question was the same as the one asked in the previously mentioned thread.

12. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The biggest con of being male is that everybody expects you to "be a man". It's like they expect you to hold your emotions back. Say you just had a break-up. A female can talk to her friends and cry it out. If a guy talks to his friends the typical reply is something like "forget her" or "get over it".

Also there are certain expectations like a guy isn't suppose to listen to Brittney Spears or cannot dress a certain way. If a woman wants to wear 'guy' clothes nobody cares too much, but see what happens if a guy wears a Hello Kitty shirt.

Of course these expectations break down a bit if your gay. Yea a straight guy wearing Hello Kitty or listening to Brittney is gonna catch hell but, even at 6ft 300lbs and masculine, I could stand in the street wearing a yellow sun dress, singing "Man I Feel Like a Woman", and twerking. Would my friends look at me strange? You bet!! But then they would just dismiss it as a 'gay thing'.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These are what I was going to say. There's no such thing as "pretty" or "delicate" that can identify a male and let him keep his dignity. Even "sensitive" is border territory. I'm usually pretty masculine so it doesn't bother me a lot, but I have my traditionally feminine desires and they have to be kept crushed pretty flat. -.-

14. fortheloveoflez

That is pretty unfortunate :frowning2: I'd hope that in the future there will be more flexibility with gender standards etc....I think it's completely silly that guys have a lot of pressure to not be feminine. There's nothing wrong with femininity any way nor masculinity for that matter.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...Can't think of anything too disadvantageous.
    It's more likely for you to get punched, because of double standards ("Don't hit girls!!!!!!ONE!!!!1!!!!").
    That's it.
    But if you're ripped enough, you can basically crush those expectations and nobody will call you out on it- would you make fun of a man that's as strong as Hercules on steroids?