1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to found an LGBT youth group, scouting members

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Saint Otaku, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Saint Otaku

So as to my intent: I have recently come out to one friend, and I am currently trying to identify as many members of the LGBT in my high school, in hopes of forming some sort of group. So first and foremost, any advice on starting an LGBT youth group in an somewhat oppressive atmosphere would be most helpful.

Now, I've been attempting to scout out the LGBT youth in my school but to little avail. But, I have noticed a rather particular underclassman boy -- of slight and short build -- who seems to favor wearing shades of pink, tight jeans, and feminine (as in Hello Kitty) backpacks. Now I realize the wearing of silly or "girly" accessories has been a sort of mock-culture among those of the "jock" group, but this child is not of it and seems genuinely to accept a feminine image, and I believe such a bold identity would be invaluable to an LGBT group. My question is how can I go about finding this child's identity, as I am extremely blunt and not savvy as to what is polite and impolite amongst the general LGBT. Obviously I would have to first acquaint with him, but how should I go about it??? Please forgive my obvious judgement by stereotype, but in our invisible community it seems some must rely upon stereotype to reveal themselves, or else I could be completely mistaken in this instance. Thoughts?

2. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you put up some kind of public notice asking LGBT people to contact you? I would offer them to be anonymous...
    Going up to someone and saying: "hey, are you gay?" could be a bit harsh...

3. LD579

Given that you're not out to many yourself, I honestly think this would be very hard to undertake... =/ In theory it's a nice thing to want to undertake, but I think the proper thing to do would be to make a general announcement (Facebook status/post, and/or a facebook group, for starters, as well as letting news of it spread through hear-say but your high school's somewhat oppressive, you say... =/) and let people come.

For starters, it may be helpful to know more details. Can you elaborate on your high school's atmosphere? What kind of group are you hoping to form? Would it be public? Would it be official in the school, or would it be unofficial and informal?

4. Saint Otaku

The group would be informal, as I doubt anyone in the education system would condone it. As for my out status, I plan to come out to many more friends and give them the OK to reveal my sexuality if anyone asks, as I gratefully do not have facebook.

The high school I attend can be best described as not hostile (as far as I know) but very bigoted and cliquish, so I'd just like to form more of a support group for my local LGBT where we could just sit about and talk, maybe schedule a movie night or something, just for those who find themselves excluded from the normal crowd.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might be better off to start a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance.) Whomever originally came up with that concept was brilliant... basically, people can join, claiming to be straight and just be allies/supporters of gay people. So you have a ton of closeted people that join and come out when they feel safe to do so.

6. Saint Otaku

That is an excellent idea, thanks!