1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I think I'm headed towards a a bad place. Ever since I got out of high school I seem to becoming more obsessive over money and being impressive to other people. Does money buy happiness? I'm not sure I even know what happiness is anymore. I obsess all day about my future and if in taking the right path in life. Its making me sick and miserable. :help:

2. Ticklish Fish

if you want money to impress people, it won't bring you happiness :/

though money could help a person access to something that they can create happiness on. Of course, you can't just like buy a ticket to vacation and not use it, there's no effort to create happy memories :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

True. Maybe I'm just becoming shallow and pessimistic..

4. Ticklish Fish

corretion to say that, in my example, you can't buy a ticket and not use it, because creating happy memory takes some work and efforts

5. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my experience money buys you choices not necessarily happiness.

Sale Gay Guy

6. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Money can't hold your hand and walk through a meadow with you.
    Money can't look you in the eye and say, with 100% honest gratitude: 'thank you'.
    Money can't listen when you want to rant to someone about your side of the story.
    Money can never ever love you back.

My advice is to treat money with respect, but never worship it.

7. plisken

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd say yes and no. Money helps you realize your dreams : traveling for example but in my opinion if you have to much money you can't appreciate anything as you would without it. Like buying a nice pair of shoes, or eating at a fancy restaurant once in a while makes you really appreciate it.

Stridenttube, if your wondering about your career path, don't choose a job because it pays well but because it makes you happy. Trust me there's nothing worse than waking up every morning and feeling demoralized, after a while you'll get more and more depressed. Eventually it will affect your professional and personal life.
    Of course if you can find a job that you love and also pays a lot it's nice :slight_smile:

8. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Maybe I'm using money as a distraction from my depression. And my obsession with impressing others is just another sign of my low self esteem?

9. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    +1 For a bloody-good post in general...but this segment in particular is the story of my life.

It's absolutely correct.

10. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I like being an IT guy. I just don't know how to go further up the chain. I have no degree but I know a lot. I just started my first ever job four months ago, yet I'm obsessive about advancement and money and impressing people. Yet at the same time I know deep down that I'm probably going to be single for life because I'm gay and not straight. So money is my only key to happiness .

11. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't know *that* many IT professionals, but have you considered opening your own business and trying to work on a consultation basis?

Yes, I know that sounds scary - but you're young. Plenty of time to learn and make natural mistakes.

Plus when you're your OWN boss, you're trying to impress no one but yourself!

The corporate environment and all that sucks - and NOT in a good way.

12. plisken

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well having ambition is really good, I've noticed that the "young generation" has a reputation of being full of lazy kids and if you can show your boss you're willing to work hard it will pay eventually. Ambition means having goals and this it what keeps you alive. The thing is don't be obsessed by your job, it's not healthy. I'm sure you will get a boyfriend and he will love you because you are YOU, your capacity of being ambitious and tenacious but also your flaws, your weaknesses. At the end you'll find someone who loves you and not your money. It might not be the first guy or the one after but you will find him eventually. Maybe you will meet someone at work who knows ? xd

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2013 at 07:24 PM ----------

Agree about the corporate environment, it's mainly about rivalry hidden behind fake smiles. You make a good point about being young. There's no need to rush, Stridenttube you could take your time to learn everything you need and open your own business :slight_smile:

13. sammy1

Money can buy only temporary happiness. I have been saving money up for my own house my entire life ever since I found out what money is used for I'm still living with my parents for that reason because they allow me to because they know how bad I want my own place and once I am able to buy my own place I will b happy until the adrenaline wears off then I will b back to my own miserable self because I am still alone and money can't really buy love so money cannot buy happiness in my opinion.

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

I obsess about money all the time and the only thing it does is make me feel depressed.

14. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way money can buy happiness is that if you are flat broke. What I mean is that if you are just barley making rent and utilities then buying frozen pizza to get by, then you probably are too worried about living to be happy. If you have enough that bills and grocerys and food are not too much of a worry then money quits adding happiness.

Think about it if you have a house full of name brand furniture, drive a BMW, and have your own chief are you really happier than a person who drives a chevy thats 5 years old, has enough to cook a decent meal daily, and has decent but not name brand furnature?

Once you have enough money to live without worrying about necesities cash isnt good for anything but show. Happiness comes from having people around you that you that yiu care about and care about you. This could be a spouse and children or it could be a close group of friends.

15. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm parlty afraid that ill never move up from my first job that i started four months ago. But I realize that's probably just my axienty issues talking. I just don't like feeling inadequate to other people.

16. photoguy93

Yes and no. Money can buy you less stress. I know it first hand...money lets you pay all your bills, lets your not worry about the what if's.... No, it doesn't make you happy, but it buys a state of mind.

17. magic

i saw a ted talk a while ago (i can't remember what it was called or who spoke) but a guy talked about if money can buy happyness or not and they done some studys on it. what they found was that if people spent $5 on someone else (such as a gift or a donation to charity) felt better than people who spent the money on them self (like on coffee or something like that.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Money doesn't buy happiness-- it smooths its acquisition. Basically, it's easier to be happy if you've got fat stacks, but at the same time, if you have deep enough unhappiness, no amount of riches will fix that on its own.