1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question About Religion

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mr Bubbles, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mr Bubbles

What do you guys think about being forced to go to church? As my bio says I'm 17 and I'm still forced by my parents to go to church. They know I don't like going, but I haven't told them why since I can't tell them that I'm an Atheist and that I'm Gay. (They are so religious and homophobic that I'm genuinely concerned for my safety if I were to come out to them.) Does anybody know if it's actually legal to force children to go to church? I mean, I've been just kind of going a long with it, but I've been starting to get more and more angry on Sundays because there's like a 75% chance that either the pastor or one of the youth leaders is going to start ranting about how homosexuality is a sin and it's becoming increasingly harder to hide my anger and frustration. Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated. :help:
    -Max

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sorry you have to go though that. When you get to 18 just say I'm an adult now you can't make me go. But I don't know if that work with texas religious parents. Whatever you do don't risk getting kick out or anything.

3. charmander

You have no idea how genuinely upset I am to hear about your misfortune...
    I wish I could help you but you're like thousands of miles east of me...

I've only ever had one religious friend who protests giants gay marriage and stuffz and it made me feel horrible...

But you...you have everyone you know against what you are and cannot change...

Are you okay? I know I wouldn't be...

4. Mr Bubbles

I'm alright I guess. It's been tough, but I typically just try to not think about my situation that much. There are some days where I literally don't think about my sexuality at all. (Not really sure how since there are several hot guys at school.) I feel like I've gotten to a point where the "fake me" that I put on for everyone around me has gotten so natural to use that I don't really have to think about it at all which I guess is kind of sad :icon_sad:. Lately though, I can't seem to stop thinking about my sexuality, gay rights, etc. I guess that's why I joined EC.
    -Max

5. charmander

Well lemme tell ya' your safe here!

6. biggayguy

That is very dangerous to suppress your true feelings like that. My mom and I and her whole extended family went to the same church for over two decades. I got used to putting on the "fake" me. That is the reason I didn't come out until age 35. I hope you don't wait that long to tell your parents. I'm not saying you should get kicked out with no where to go. However, you should make plans of how and when you would like to come out.

7. photoguy93

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Seeing similar situations in real life and on here.....I'm going to say a few things.

Stay safe. That's the biggest part. It's the most important.

Secondly, you have to weigh your options. Church might be absolutely horrible, but would being out on the street be better? That's really important to think about it. It's a big world out there, so you just have to think about everything.

8. Mr Bubbles

Thanks for the input everyone!

I guess basically I've gotta wait until I go off to college before coming out so that I'm sure I'll at least be safe. I just wish I didn't have to wait that long, even though it's only a year or two away...