1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obsessed with my sexuality

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm obsessed with figuring out my sexual orientation. I kind of want to stop this obsession. I want to know how to distract myself.

2. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I don't think there's nothing wrong with being obsessed. Life in general is a journey and discovering who you are is a part of it. So it makes sense to obsess on wanting to figure out who you are. As for the distracting part you can always do things that will keep you busy like hobbies, hanging out with friends, school, work and so on.

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of agree with you, but I don't think that applies to me anymore. I don't think this obsession is helping me figure out my sexuality anymore. I've had this obsession for three years straight and it's driving me crazy. I'm just going in circles.

4. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The problem with obsessing about something is that you generally end up making the problem bigger than it actually is.

The fact of the matter is, one's sexuality is only one facet of our existence and identity, and by itself, it should not define us.

Whether you like it or not, you can survive, live and thrive without having any sexual contact at all. This applies to all humans. Learning, growing up, eating, sleeping, working. The things vital to actual survival on a personal basis, don't include sexual contact.

If you met me, I'd say, 'Hi, I'm [insert name]. I'm a translator and musician.' Being a translator or musician aren't tied into my sexuality, and on that information alone, it's impossible to guess my orientation. What do you think? Is it OK or healthy for me to define myself like this? This who I feel I am. Who or what I like to get jiggy with is a part of me, yes. But it's not *the* defining characteristic I have.

If I said, 'Hi, my name's [Insert name]. I like vagina.' I feel that people run away from me - and rightly so.

I say take pride in who you are. All of you. You are confused about this issue - that's fine. It is important - no one will take that way from you. But, if you really look at yourself, you'll find that there's so much more to you than your orientation.

So, spend time meditating on this issue, sure. But not at the expense of your existence as an individual. There are also just somethings which take time to understand. In the mean time, your physical body grows. The mRNA in your cell degrades and you approach the only guaranteed outcome of life.

I know it's not popular with today's media religion, but by analysing who you are on a metaphysical level, you may find freedom in the physical realm.