1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Engineering and Science a Good Field?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by twospiritlycan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. I was thinking about studying in engineering for school. Either engineering, fine arts, or healthcare like nursing. Down to those three choices.

The thing is that the community college only offers an AS in Science. These are the requirements for the associate degree according to the information paper I gathered

"Associate of Science - Science (63 credits)
    The Associate of Science Degree in Science provides a broad background of coursework and preparation for the student who plans to transfer to a four-year institution to pursue a baccalaureate degree in science, engineering, or a health related field. Because of variations in academic preparation and career aspirations, each student in the AS in Science program is required to meet with a Mathematics and Science Department Advisor to develop an individualized program. The program outlines the sequence of required courses and electives the student will take.

GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS (25):
    Communications (6):
    ENGL 101 Comp I: Exposition 3cr
    ENGL 102 Comp II: Analysis & Argument 3cr
    Fine Arts/Humanities/Social Science (6):
    For required courses, refer to UNM Core Curriculum
    Mathematics/Computer Science (11):
    MATH 163 Calculus I 4cr
    MATH 164 Calculus II 4cr
    CS 151L Computer Programming Fund 3cr
    Health Promotion/Physical Education (2):
    Any PENP or HED 101 or above

SCIENCE CORE (24):
    BIOL 123/124L Biology for Health Related Sciences OR
    BIOL Molecular & Cell Biology 4cr
    BIOL 237/227L Human Anatomy & Physiology w/Lab 4cr
    CHEM 121/123L General Chemistry I w/Lab 4cr
    CHEM 122/124L General Chemistry II w/Lab 4cr
    PHYC 151/151L General Physics w/Lab 4cr
    PHYC 152/152L General Physics w/lab 4cr

ELECTIVES (14):
    Choose CHEM 212, BIOL 238/228L, 202, EPS 101/105, and 201.

FOR SUGGESTED COURSE SEQUENCING:

I was wondering, what would happen if I decide to major in this, it's the only science related thing at the community college.

2. biggayguy

This sounds like a degree specifically designed to knock out the first two years of a four year program in community college. It looks like it can be tailored to pursue a nursing degree or an engineering degree. Are you going to try to get a job with an associate's degree? You should probably look for a major more focused on the field where you want to work. I would talk to an academic advisor if I were you.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can do engineering, do it. They are always in high demand, almost no matter the sub-field.

Problem is, not everybody can. It's a ton of brainpower. I consider myself pretty smart and I'd be terrified to do anything with "engineer" in the name.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Engineering is obviously an excellent in terms of salary.

But you should do something you enjoy. Don't listen to people that say arts/social science degrees don't matter. They do, and they teach you skills that are very valuable in any career path you choose.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The science career paths these days are full of boring paperwork.
    It really tore me to pieces when I first found that out.
    I'd go with an engineering course. If you feel like you can handle it, being an engineer is a great way to help people and earn cash- good buildings, cars, and other structures help keep people safe.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And the fact that science and engineering are tightly linked. Science develops the theories and laws, and then engineers put that into practice in the form of technology. Every scientific discovery that's made has the public saying "What's the point?" Until engineers make something wicked awesome.

7. apostrophied

If you're interested in it and have the smarts for it, definitely go for engineering, there's great money to be made there. Otherwise, I guess nursing could be alright (although substantially less lucrative), if only because no matter what happens, we're always going to need nurses. Fine arts, well... I suppose you could study art education and try to become an art teacher? Definitely not lucrative, and when there are budget cuts, your job's going to be the first to go. So I'd say stick with engineering or nursing if you can. :slight_smile: