1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Methodist's reaction to LGBT??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tallygirl1128, Oct 31, 2013.

1. tallygirl1128

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing good :slight_smile:

Ok, to start my post off, I should say that my family doesn't know my orientation. That comes in play with my question.

So, I moved to a new town recently, for school, where I don't know anyone. There is a Methodist college group at one of the churches. Now, I am a Christian and a Methodist. I wasn't about to give up my believes when I came to terms with my sexuality. Anyway, my grandma really wants me to go and check them out, which I'm fine with. However, I moved to this new town so that I could stop hiding who I am (which I had to do back home).

So, I guess my question is: does anyone have some advice on how to go about this or anything advice at all? Also, is there anyone out there that have come out to Methodists, and how did it go?

Thanks in advance!! :icon_bigg

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have any personal experience, but I do know that Methodist churches in 'Murica don't support gay marriage. They do, however, support gay celibacy and allow homosexuals to be members of the church.
    Overall, they're pretty mixed about the subject.

3. suninthesky

I go to a Methodist university. I was raised athiest, but my mom seemed to think Methodists would not be too bad to be around, and honestly, that's completely right. The vast majority of the people here are very open and accepting. Even the people in the religion part of the college. I've actually taken to going to the contemporary worship service on occasion - the reverend (a women btw) gives incredible sermons. She's talked about LGB and even T people in a very good light, spreading nothing but acceptance and respect.

The Methodist people I've met are pretty solid people.

Here's some about the recent stuff in the upper-level clergy: Methodist court sidesteps changes to gay policies | The Salt Lake Tribune

4. tallygirl1128

Thanks for the advice! I figured that they would be accepting but I just wanted someone else's opinion before I went to the group. My old church back home didn't even touch on the LGBT topics so it was a little hard to judge reactions, however the fact that they didn't say anything bad made me thing on the positive side.

Thanks again! You guys helped a lot!

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to the Methodist church and while I'm not out at church, the Methodists I AM out to have been supportive. :slight_smile:

6. Bear101

There are two streams in United Methodism. One is open and accepting. The other is traditional Evangelical and believes homosexuality is a sin. The only way to know where a church stands, is to call and talk to the pastor.

7. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is pretty much the case, I think - Methodists churches will sometimes be a mixed bag, but from the impression I get, never the worst (or, the other side of the coin, never the best). But it largely depends on the pastor(s) and any ministers working in that particular church.

As far as the more lgbt-friendly side of the tradition goes, you may want to check out the Reconciling Ministries Network - it's an organization of specifically Methodist churches for lgbt members/prospective members/what have you. :slight_smile: