1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to wear T-shirts.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by agonizingnose, Nov 1, 2013.

1. agonizingnose

Okay, weird title I know, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I'll explain. For the past year or so I have been very depressed, and after lots of crying, lots of self harm and a suicide attempt I think I might just be getting a bit better, I think I might have the nerves to finally wear a T-shirt at school. Note: No one knows I am depressed. I'm not sure how people would react, I mean my scars are quite clear, I used to cut very deep. Any ideas, because I could use some. Thanks.:slight_smile:

2. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe try with long sleeve tee shirts first and slowly push up the sleeves as you feel more comfortable with yourself and your scars. I'm glad to hear that you are getting better and coming out of your depression. Scars can be a reminder of where you were, but more importantly how far you've come. That's why I would start with the long sleeves and push them up as you get more confident with yourself. If people ask about them you can be honest with them or say it was something else and you rather not talk about it.

3. monotone

Also, apologies if you have heard this before, but you should definitely seek professional help for depression, especially if you have a history of self-harm.

Is telling your parents an option?

4. agonizingnose

Thank's I'll give it a go :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2013 at 01:52 AM ----------

Don't worry, I'm seeing a counsler and my mum knows of my depression

5. Silver Sparrow

You can start with putting on bracelets, that always made me feel more comfortable. Or start wearing a loose jacket over your t shirt, just to get used to the feeling.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scars are just medals that show you survived. Personally I think they're endearing. Knowing that somebody has suffered that much, I'm more likely to try to make friends with them.

7. Jaffacake

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just make sure you can handle a few stares and comments beforehand- be prepared for "attention seeking" comments and the like. People can be very close-minded, might be worth giving the ideas up there ^ a go first, but do whatever makes you comfortable! :slight_smile:
    So glad that you feel like you're getting better!!