1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My cats getting put to sleep today :(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sully, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Sully

The cat I've had for 13/14 years is getting put to sleep today.

A few weeks ago I was quite upset at the prospect but now I've accepted that he really is unwell. He's all but stopped eating, he's lost heaps of weight, he's weak and just sleeps on the floor in a quiet room.

Funnily enough, although I love him to bits, I'm not sad. Within the last few weeks I've learnt that it's time for him. The vet believes he probably has a cancer somewhere.

I was thinking, stuff ever getting pets again, it's too sad when they die, but now that I know you grow to understand that they have to die eventually makes me not care about the sad times. The good times you have with for well over a decade far out weigh the last few weeks.

2. I'm sorry to hear that. It's tough to lose a pet, even if it has been more good than bad and they're getting old now.

I put my dog down this summer. It's still tough, but you're right. There's a lot of years of good things to remember and the love you have for them does outweigh the grief of losing them. At least for me and it sounds like for you as well.

(*hug*)

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :icon_sad: well what can I say apart from my condolences. I haven't been through that so I can't imagine how tough it is. I guess with your pet or anyone it's better to give them a good and happy sendoff than let them suffer more, and you're right, everyone has their time so there's not much use in thinking about anything but the good times.

Here's hoping all goes well today (*hug*)

4. SilentCreatures

You opened your heart and shared it with him. For 13/14 years he has been blessed by having you in his life. It's not a disservice, it's an honour you do him.

In time - when you are ready and willing you will do the same again with another wonderful bundle of fuzz, and share new joys :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing and wishing you strength.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is sad..
    I am such a cat fan, I am sure you are too

I hope it goes smoothly and you recognise it is the right time to do this.

(*hug*)

6. Ruthven

I'm sad to hear that it's your cat's time; I really wish cats, dogs, horses, etc had longer lifespans. :icon_sad:

There are times when I think of one of my cats dying, and it tears me apart and I get extremely sad and usually end up crying. I just love her so much, I don't know what I'm gonna do when the time comes. It won't be for many many years though hopefully.

And I realise you're right, it's best to not dwell on the sadness but...

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Aw.. (*hug*) 13/14 years is so long, you must be really close to your cat..

8. XBallantine

Hey Sully, I know exactly what you are going through. I've had my dog for 14 years. It may be funny to say this but I don't have siblings and it felt like he was my brother. He was with me ever since birth, literally.
    He was then diagnosed with hypoglycaemia when I was about 14, and had seizures everyday. It was so sad, it came to the point that he didn't eat, or he couldn't eat because his seizures were so often. It was critical he did though, as it meant his blood sugar was low.
    It was a rough year for me, but I guess I did my grieving at that time. Before he died I already knew it was inevitable that he was going to leave us soon. I can totally understand that you don't want to get another pet. Whether it be you don't want him or her to be so to speak 'replaced', or whether you don't want to go through the pain of loss again. It's good that you can come to terms with the situation, I sure as hell found it difficult in the early stages. But you know, memories never fade, and whether you believe in the afterlife or not, wherever he or she is, it's for the better :slight_smile:

9. Sully

Thanks everyone, it means a lot to me. It's been done and he's been buried in the garden, I'm a bit upset, but yeah, the good times definitely out weigh the bad.