1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using sexuality as a distraction

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sexuality is a worry for me, but I have way bigger worries. I think part of the reason why I'm still questioning and worrying about my sexuality is because I'm avoiding bigger problems. I suspect that resolving my other issues will help with my sexuality issues.

2. Saturn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I believe this is why the expression "can't see the forest for the trees" exists.

Our sexuality is but one facet of who we are. I think it's generally acknowledged that obsession is an unhealthy thing. In the past I have looked at the state of the world and saw so much suffering, pain and anguish that I got depressed. It's incredible. I started being late paying bills and failed to do laundry as often as I should have. It makes no sense to behave like this, and of course I could seen that - even at the time. But the fact is, my obsession got in the way of basic daily tasks - never mind how it affected my professional and social life.

I think that contemporary science is still too rudimentary to tell us what being human really means. Best to try and stay away from labels and standards decreed by 'experts' and give yourself time to figure out your own answers.

Forgive me for playing the 'age' card on you, but there are really some things that take time and life experience to figure out. As I get older, and my beard gets more mighty, I find my self relying on my own empirical data in preference to reported knowledge more and more.

So...sexuality aside, who are you?

Do you play a musical instrument? Are you a bit of a wizard in the kitchen? Are you studying? Do you work? Are you a cat person or a dog person? Are you a film buff or do you prefer to absirb yourself in a good book?
    None of these things necessitate a particular sexuality.
    Seriously, why not write a list of who you are, and then take back control of you and your life?

Best of luck :slight_smile:

3. PookaciousOne

Me coming out as bisexual has been oddly an awesome mental and emotional distraction from some stress I have been feeling lately. I thought that maybe I had really bad timing when I chose to come out but I have gotten such positive support from my wife and friends that its allowed me not to be more overwhelmed than I usually am which is a daily thing for me as I also have ADHD as well