1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i the only one who hates birthdays?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlieHK, Nov 5, 2013.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I seriously hate celebrating my birthday. It sorta like "Oh, congratz, you didn't commit suicide like you had planned on". Which is pretty depressing. As a result i normally skip school on my birthday and chill at home, because i hate that I got through another year, and for some reason this gets celebrated.

To top this wonderful day off therapy is looking like it's not going to happen. Which sucks. And is like a big "F*ck you" from life right now.

I went to school because Kelsey (my girlfriend) REALLY wanted me there. So I went. And I hated it.

Just BS from teachers and their faces.

And I think my gender dsyphoria is coming back for round two. Great.

But for now, I have some anger to take out on myself.

Anyone else hate their own birthday? :dry:

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love my birthday.

But serious go to school, life won't get better unless you fight. You have to fight for your place in the world and skipping school my seem easy now but it will leave you in your despair for the rest of your life. I'm sorry that therapy is off but I'm sure you will get the opportunity to do it later in life. You have a girlfriend thats something positive (I wish I had a relationship or at least a hope of one). Try and enjoy your birthday even if you have to do something special to make it good like eat cake or do something with your girlfriend.

Don't take your anger out on yourself it won't help you. Don't commit suicide I've felt like that and it sucks but keep on fighting and you will get to a place where you will enjoy life. But if you give up on your future then you won't get to the place.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, but I certainly don't enjoy it particularly. I have never enjoyed being the centre of attention, especially for something that as you say isn't exactly an achievement (Oh great, you survived!).

4. Oxelotl

I hate my birthday as well. I just think as a concept it is pointless, Again concept of 'you survived here's a present.' Hell my 17th birthday this year essentially made me go into one of my lowest moods. Not looking forward to my 18th.

5. Thedistra

Its just another day to me. Never did parties or anything like that. When I was in school my parents let my sister and I skip that day of school, that was cool. I don't like attention focused on me by more than one person at a time so I like it this way.

When i played WoW I would get something nice for select people who I knew would enjoy a special gift on their Birthdays. I enjoy making others happy I guess since it makes me happy. So I prefer other people's birthdays.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't say I hate it. I'm pretty indifferent to birthdays themselves. Parties, on the other hand... I used to love birthday parties. Then, I realized I had a ton of dysphoria, a whole slew of other problems, and it sure as hell wouldn't get better if I didn't take action.
    Another year older, another year wasted, another year I haven't accomplished jack!

But other people's birthdays are good chances for me to pawn my old stuff off on them show that I can actually be a good friend. Sort of.

#6 An Gentleman, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  7. apostrophied

I don't like my birthday either, but thank God not because I didn't commit suicide! I am thankful for every year on this earth and hope to have many more to come, and the same for my loved ones.

The reason why I don't like it so much is mostly because I feel that my life hasn't gotten that much better since last year, because I'm still single even though I'm now 21, and because nobody in my family really seems to bother celebrate it (it doesn't help that my birthday and my mom's mortgage payment are on the same day, making gifts a last priority). So yeah, I wish I didn't, but the fact is that I do feel left out and lonely on my birthday. Although last year I did get a small restaurant dinner with my mom and a couple little desserts from my friends, so it could have been worse.

8. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happy Birthday. Today is actually my birthday as well

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got tired of birthdays when I was about 12..ish. If it was my birthday, I'd lock myself in my room and watch TV. Even on big days like my 18th, I didn't want to do much (I got ambushed hardcore).

Plus, it wasn't fun going to school on my birthday since it falls on the day a President was assassinated.

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really HATE my birthdays with a vengeance
    Another step towards the precipice ...
    Another reminder of what was not achieved in the preceding year
    And it falls on New Year's Eve .. When everyone has other things on their mind!!
    Sigh

11. Lewnatic

Another birthday, another year gone by that you haven't achieved anything you wanted to do. Life is just one big "oh, I'll do it tomorrow..." and before you know it you're 68. I'm not 68, I'm 20, but that doesn't mean I don't feel life is fleeting by and birthdays are a horrendous reminder of that.

Having said that, I do enjoy a day dedicated to ME! It's wonderful if you have a great network of friends and family, I'm blessed that I do.

12. Foxface

Ellie you have spoken to me on this one whether you meant to or not.

I can't stand the attention being on me. I don't need gifts or a cake or money. I just like to be left as I please

When my birthday comes around usually I'll save up some cash to buy myself something nice but my partner knows that there will be no party for me.

And you are quite correct ont he achievement part too

Foxface

13. Jordz

I don't hate them but I don't like like to be the center of attention.

14. LoveCimorelli

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The only reason I like it is because you get presents and stuff but other than that I hate it be because its the only day that people really pay attention to you if you know .what I mean