1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Some Dude, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As I am new to discovering that I am gay, I have a lot of questions and would appreciated any answers or help or anything.

How can you tell if a guy is gay and interested in you?

Is it common to be discriminated against(career wise) because of sexuality?

Where is same sex marriage legal?

Is there any type of sexual protection that you would need to use other than condoms?
    (Note: don't worry I am not planning on having sex at this young age, I am just wondering)

Is it better to wait until after high school to come out?

Thanks

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How can you tell if a guy is gay and interested in you?

-Without a person telling you, there really is no 100% sure way to tell that they are gay. Even if you go by stereotypes, the person isn't always gay. As for potentially being interested it depends on how they're acting towards you and such.

Is it common to be discriminated against(career wise) because of sexuality?

-It all depends on the type of job and who the employer is. Typically though, no it is not very common in this day and age as far as the United States goes. Especially with potential for ENDA (Employment non-discrimination act) getting very close to passing here in the US soon.

Where is same sex marriage legal?

Same Sex Marriage In The US

(Also add Illinois to the list as it passed today(11/5/13) )

Is there any type of sexual protection that you would need to use other than condoms?

-Condoms are pretty much it to cover the basic things between 2 guys.

Is it better to wait until after high school to come out?

-This is different for everybody and depends on your situation and where you are at regarding how you feel about your sexuality. What also comes into play for non-adult gay teens is family acceptance(possibly getting kicked out/abused, etc..) Personally I wasn't ready to come out in HS so I waited until I was a little older.

#2 Lance, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. I know I'm not the threadstarter, but this helped me a lot. Thanks Lance :slight_smile:

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Lance

I have a few more questions

Where would you go to buy condoms/lubricant?

Is it possible to somehow become a biological father despite being gay?

Are there many "normal" gay guys?(The only out guy I know has red and purple hair and he knits during class)

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where would you go to buy condoms/lubricant?

-You can buy condoms/lube almost anywhere really. Drug stores, grocery stores, convenient stores, etc... If you are embarrassed about buying them, just go somewhere that has a self check-out and you won't have to interact with anyone.

Is it possible to somehow become a biological father despite being gay?

-Yes, you can have a surrogate if that is something that you and your partner agree on. Basically your sperm is used and a woman's egg(the surrogate's herself or a donors) and they create an embryo and implant it in the woman who will be carrying the baby.

Are there many "normal" gay guys?

-Yes, many of the gay people you see day to day you wouldn't even know that they are. People are subjected to the stereotypes of the media's portrayal on gay people and always look out for and notice the ones that exhibit the stereotypical behavior, but there are tons of gay people out there that you wouldn't notice.

6. blueberrymuffin

Lance did a good job but to add my own opinion...I don't think career discrimination should be even an afterthought for you. As for coming out, your own judgment needs to determine that. Look at your school and your friends and weigh the risk/benefit.

The only hint you give is if a guy there is open about it, with red hair and knits in class...and he's not getting his ass beaten every day? Well, i think it's probably safe then. You could probably ask that guy if it's a good idea.

There are risks to not coming out too. Some will tell you it's best to just keep it quiet like that won't create a ton of stress or depression. So consider your own feelings on it.