1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Joey4, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Joey4

I have plans to begin traveling within the next couple months. I live in the DC/Maryland area of the States and would like to head north to Canada, make my way across, then down the west coast of the United States. I plan to use couchsurfing, craigslist, woofing, and various hostels.

Has anyone done this before or know someone who has? I'm doing this on a tight budget and would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Besides greyhound, does anyone know of anything inexpensive bus services? Are there a lot of hostels in Canada?

Also, what should I see in Canada while there?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was driven across Canada in the early '70's and then down the west coast of the US and into Mexico (epic voyage!), we went camping most of the way to save money. Unlike most of my compatriots, I have seen a large part of this country, including the far north. In the winter camping will NOT be an option. There are couch-surfing websites and hostels will be found in most of the major cities.

There is a cross-country train (Google Via Rail), which goes through some of the most beautiful parts of this country. Each region has its unique characteristics, but if you like nature and mountains, the Rockies can't be beat. Our cities are modern and clean, Ottawa has some amazing museums, Montreal and Quebec City are beautiful and probably the most European of cities with the French fact. Vancouver and Victoria, out on the West coast of Canada, are stunningly beautiful cities nestled in the coastal mountains of British Columbia. To get to Victoria you will need to take a ferry.

Again, in winter, there will be challenges...hitchhiking at zero degrees Fahrenheit is no fun... :dry:

3. Joey4

That's fantastic information. Exactly what I was looking for.

I've couch surfed before, using a website in regards to it. I'm doing a small test run right now by contact people from New York. Out of four people I have two responses so far, both declined. I'm scared of not having a place to stay one night, being out in the cold.

I'm thinking I may head toward SoCal first by reason of weather. If I can stall long enough in a warmer climate, maybe that'll buy me enough time for the weather to turn up north.

Something else that concerns me is what to bring. You mentioned that you camped to save money. What items did you find yourself using the most on the road, between camping equipment and personal supplies?

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, the winter is far better in SoCal...

In Canada, things start to warm up in March but only on the west coast!; Vancouver and Victoria are far warmer (and wetter, very much like Seattle) than the rest of the country at that time of year. So it makes sense to start heading north from California around that time (if you're still set on visiting Canada).

We camped with a car, so it would be different for you. I would suggest a compact metal-framed backpack, a small pup tent, compact synthetic sleeping bag, a roll up mattress and stuff to keep your feet dry (waterproof footwear and dry socks are a godsend). Sweatshirt and T-shirts are good to have, and a waterproof outer shell. Other items might include a small stove (don't skimp here, high quality compact stoves are not cheap, but make all the difference)

I summer the sun will set well past 8 PM, which is also nice, but bring bug repellent, our mosquitos and black flies are brutal around that time of year and it can get quite warm.

5. Joey4

I went out and bought a bag today. It was formerly military issued. It's a good size bag. I have some Red Wings left over from my last job still in great shape. They're waterproof. I`ve been out doing storm duty in the freezing rain..I know the value of dry feet, haha.

I don't have any immediate intentions of camping. I'm hoping that I won't have to resort to it. At least not until spring/summer.

Either way, I really appreciate your advice. I'd like to message you with any further questions if that's okay.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sure, no problem, have fun planning!

7. English Frenchman

I used to live in the DC/Maryland area. I can very clearly understand why you’ve so pressed to leave and travel elsewhere.

8. Joey4

Haha.. You know what.. I love it here. I even ran into a few peeps this evening from San Fran who said they`re enjoying themselves. It`s not uncommon though that I hear people don't like it.

I'm just trying to make sure that I don't belong elsewhere.

9. method

Via Rail only makes sense if you can score a good sale fare. You can also get a rail pass if you can fit your rides within the validity period 3 or 4 weeks, from memory. It's definitely much more comfortable than buses, especially long distance. And as greatwhale said, many of the routes are quite scenic.

I enjoyed the hostels in Canada, and there should be one in most of the places travellers are drawn to.

My most favourite part of the trip was my one week in the Rockies (Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff). Incredible peaks, great hiking trails, and wildlife.

10. robclem21

The train is very expensive. Often, it is cheaper to fly where you want. But as whale said, the train will take you through some pretty awesome places.

There is a company called Megabus that does way cheaper travel than Greyhound, though only through the upper US and some of Ontario/Quebec. I had some friends from Germany stop by during the summer and they had no problems finding hostels in Toronto. May be tough in some of the tinier cities as you travel through the prairies, but big cities should not be a problem.

You can msg me if you have questions about Toronto area/southern Ontario

11. flatlander48

If you go through Toronto, definitely go to the top of the CN Tower.

Wherever I am, I often seek out a tall structure and go to the top. Not that I am enamored with heights per se, but it does give you a unique perspective on things and it's a view that we don't often get. It serves as a great reminder of the expanse of Nature and our relative place in it.

So far, my list is (without any particular order):

CN Tower
    Sears Tower - Chicago (now Willis Tower I believe)
    Coit Tower - San Francisco
    Space Needle - Seattle
    Taipei 101 - Taipei, Taiwan
    Eiffel Tower
    Seoul Tower
    Sydney Tower - Sydney, Australia (walked on the roof!!)

12. Joey4

Hey guys. Those are all really fantastic suggestions. I really appreciate all the responses.

13. flatlander48

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just saw this! Sounds like a fun trip.

Unless you get a special student / buffet / unlimited use ticket, ViaRAIL is not cheap, but if you can get on it, it's a beautiful way to cross. I believe the cross country train has a dome car and I would try to get this leg to cross the Canadian Rockies. If not, Greyhound Canada has a similar fare deal for such use. It's kind of analogous to the 1 day and 3 day all you can use transit fares some cities have which make things accessible and more affordable. Never having done it, the craigslist ride share thing doesn't appeal to me, but people use it all the time.

East to West, eh?

Halifax (yes or no?) - historic seaport, the pierced rock at Gaspe' (though not at Halifax)

Quebec City - otherworldly, Chateau Frontenac, the old town, the government center, the battlefield park with the view, and even the crossing to the south shore on the tiny ferry to catch good photos from across the way, either at river level or from the bluffs, and more

Montreal - where to start - Old Montreal, Old Port, Parc Mont-Royal, the museums, the Olympic Village and the tower, Parc Jean-Drapeau (on an island), Square St. Louis, Blvd. St. Laurent, Ste. Catherine Est and the Village, St. Catherine Ouest and all the shopping as well as the universities, the Plateau neighborhood, underground Place Bonaventure and Place des Arts, Petite Italie and their farmer's market, and more

Ottawa - Parliament Hill, Rideau Canal, and 2 museums facing each other on each side of the river, Byward Market, and more

Toronto - the CN Tower (if you will pop money for one tower, make it this one), the Toronto Islands and ferry, Casa Loma, High Park and the zoo, Church-Wellesley, museums, Union Station (very grand), City Hall, Yonge Street, Greektown-the Danforth, and more

Have never set foot in either Manitoba or Saskatchewan, but I know they are flat and have cold winters.

Edmonton - (I think VIARail goes through here instead of Calgary) - Strathcona section, West Edmonton Mall (for being super tacky), check for other things - there is a hostel in Strathcona, which puts you in a good location

Calgary - Calgary Tower, Saddledome, Eau Claire market, SE 17th street and all the food and drink choices, check for other things (Calgary is nicer than Edmonton, imo) - there is a hostel in the center, and about 1 or 2 streets from their light rail

Alberta Rockies - Banff, Banff Springs Hotel, Lake Moraine, Lake Louise, check for more

Vancouver - Stanley Park, Gastown, Waterfront and Canada Place, Vancouver Main Library, Davie Village, Robson Street shopping, Georgia Street and the historic Hotel Vancouver, Lonsdale Quay via Sea Bus, Queen Elizabeth Park, Kitsilano, the walkable suspension bridges at Capilano (fee) or Lynn Canyon (free) on the north shore, Granville Island, funky Commercial Drive, north of Broadway, for food and drink, check for more - there is a hostel in the Davie Village

Victoria - have never been *kicking myself* but it has the government buildings complex, the Empress Hotel, and fantastic English gardens

Hope that helps.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Tightrope, you've probably seen more of Canada than most Canadians! However I have been to Victoria (beautiful!) and have stayed at the Empress too... :badgrin:

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks!!! And I could have gone to Victoria. It's just that boarding a car at Tsawwassen (or some such crazy place), the fare, the steeply priced lodging, and time it would cut out from Vancouver worked against it. Someday. Everybody loves Victoria, though. Also, whether in Victoria or in Vancouver, the OP needs to snack on a Nanaimo bar while IN Canada to make the experience more authentic!

17. Joey4

Tightrope - that's an impressive list! I'm keeping a lot of that in mind. You've been very helpful.

I bought my ticket for mega bus last night that's gonna take me from here to Toronto. It was only $46, seems like a steal. I'll be leaving next Wednesday. I have hosts in Toronto (two gay men, actually) and an older couple in Ottawa. My friend in Banff told me I have to go to Montreal. I feel like I'm working backward, but I know it will be worth it. Hostels seem reasonably priced there.

I'm looking for inexpensive transportation that will take me from Montreal to Calgary. So far, everything seems expensive. Any suggestions?