1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loving yourself?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Minnie, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Minnie

What does it feel like to love and be happy with yourself?
    When I've been like that, I've felt straight and cisgendered (female).
    When I acknowledge that I'm gay, I feel genderqueer and like I just have to be happy with who I am.
    (I feel like) I know what and who I am but don't like it. Should it be this way?

2. tex st

tex st Guest

yeah i get what your getting at

the trick is to LEARN how to love who you see in front of the mirror, to practice sending loving thoughts to yourself AS YOU ARE NOW, not some perfect model version of an "accomplished" you

it may not come easy, it may sound abstract, and it may even be awkward as you practice it but there is IMMENSE power if you build a good relationship with yourself

-- write 10 good qualities about yourself AS YOU ARE NOW, and the trick is to really do this work because it's the only way it'll actually work. the more you're able to accept yourself (even parts youre not cool with), the more at peace you'll feel, how things will fall into their place

3. Skyline

I struggle with this sometimes, but I long for the feeling of self acceptance, and on a good day all I have to do is realize that it doesn't matter who or what I am, because I'm just me! And I'm unique just for that.

4. UIOP

Maybe it would surprise you but, when most people look in the mirror, they don't like what they see (not just appearances either). Most people undervalue themselves. I know I do even though I try not to. I often feel the same way as you but it's important to just try to see yourself as a great and unique person. Because you are!

There will always be things which you want to change or that you don't like about yourself. That's only natural. Instead of thinking about them too much, try thinking about what is good about you.

5. Minnie

Thanks everyone, some really good advice :slight_smile:
    I'd been having issues with the way I look when I felt trans a while back, but I was still having panic attacks so thought maybe I wasn't trans - so, I tried just looking at my body and accepting it. Eventually I started loving myself and my looks, it was great! It's just when I realise I'm gay that I feel more boyish. I do know that I can be very feminine, but I kinda feel like I'm doing it just to feel feminine and to "look good for the guys"... :S