1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Issues

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Saint Otaku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Saint Otaku

My school has a mandatory-to-graduate thing called the Senior Project. During this project, one chooses a career/career area to focus upon, and does mentoring and writes papers and junk.

My problem is that one part of the senior project is finding a social issue that relates to one's career and writes a paper about it. The career area I chose was Theatre, and I was wondering if anyone could give me LGBT suggestions for the social issue and connect it to Theatre.

Also, following the paper we must do a community service project relating to our social issue. So any help on both the social issue and the community service project would be great!

2. RainbowMan

Easy peasy - there's obviously lots of gay people in theater. The social issue is them finding work, and the stigma from being out. This paper might help as a starting point on that.

3. Saint Otaku

Ooo, an excellent paper as far as I can tell, and I might focus upon this.

Also, as a small add-on to my query, if the suggestions could be linked somehow to LGBT adolescents in Theatre, that would be great, since I'm mentoring with the middle school Drama teacher, although I welcome ideas, all wide and narrow! :grin:

4. Silver Sparrow

There can be the stereotype of boys in theatre being gay.

5. Saint Otaku

I suppose, although in my community that's not too common and I sorta want to focus on actual gays, rather than straights being bullied.

As another point, the social issue doesn't need to be directly related to theatre, but should in some way be able to connect to it ^.^

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming!

6. GirlWhoWaited

Could you possibly put on a small production or revue using LGBT-themed stuff and use the proceeds to benefit an LGBT charity? It would raise awareness and money to help the cause. I was a theatre major, I'd be more than willing to help you find material and resources. :slight_smile:

7. Saint Otaku

That is an excellent idea! There have always been rumors my middle school drama teacher was a lesbian -- even among her favorites -- but I could never know for sure since I didn't feel like it was appropriate to ask. I think I may ask her about this idea, although it would have to be very small and minimalistic, probably a few one-acts or the like. This is so because we put on both a Fall, Spring, and Summer show -- I am directing the current Fall show -- and I'm not sure how up to it we drama kids would be ^.^

I have been toying with the idea of establishing a GSA, so it would be awesome if that came to pass and its members put on above play (although the latter would not be necessary since the community service is not linked to the career, but the social issue), but I must first establish an LGBT-Theatre social issue and then link it to my community service project!

So I think my current resolution is:
    Career - Theatre
    Social Issue Research Paper - ?(something with gays in the theatre)
    Community Service Project - GSA and/or LGBT-themed play or donation-party

8. Saint Otaku

Alright, so I've decided to make my social issue on the censoring of hot-button issues in school theatre, with an emphasis on LGBT. This is quite convenient for a research paper, as I've glanced through the internet and found several works speaking of the shift in attitudes towards "gay theatre" with the dawn of the AIDS epidemic. For my community service project... well I'll cross that bridge and come out of that closet when I get to it ^.^

I'm searching, but any reputable sources relating to my decision would be greatly appreciated! Also, any suggestions for a community service project or gay-themed plays would be also. Thanks everyone! :slight_smile: