1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confliction with religion.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by just a guy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. just a guy

just a guy Guest

I struggle with the fact, that well... I'm gay. Is it possible to still be religious and be gay. I understand that the issue is not that I am gay, but the things I do behind closed doors. Can I live a fulfilling life being gay while still having a faith?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course! There are many people on here who are gay and lesbian who are religious. There are also some ministers, chaplains, etc that are gay as well. :slight_smile:

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I continue being an active Catholic even though I'm far from my family, but I know deep down me being gay means I cannot accept the demand of lifelong celibacy. I am hopeful for the future since Pope Francis has changed the tone against gays way down. I'm sure a lot of homophobic Catholics hate it, but the moderates (and I think the majority soon) will support him. It still is hard to see how the Catholic Church will eventually condone homosexual relationships given it doesn't really accept divorce for straight couples. Anyway, I think whenever I decide to come out, I will still keep attending church but not take Communion until noncelibate gays are fully accepted, which is a hard decision.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that one of the most senior Bishops in my church is a married lesbian, yes.

My church is moderately democratic, which assists in modernity. Some churches recognise the needs of society. Others maintain the institutions of the past, and deliver sermons condemning greed from their golden thrones.

5. Hrantou

Yes. I had a religious friend explain this to me and I believe it like this: God loves everyone. He created everyone and he loves each and every one of us, even you and me. Its humans that mess up Gods word and make it full of hate. Humans do it. God loves you, just like he loves me.

6. tommyj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had to clear up this same issue before I could accept to myself that I was gay. I have come to terms with it and my life has felt so much better. I'm not sure what religion you are but if you are Christian this is a good site :

Http://www.gaychrisitian.net/

Also if you have more specific questions I'll be glad to help if I can.

7. English Frenchman

Hey there,

The question of being able to be meld your sexual and religious identity into one, is as old as time. Each one of us, if we were brought up in that environment, had to deal with it.
    I personally believe God loves all his creations, as he made Man in his own vision. So, gay was His creation. This is how I come to terms with it.
    But this is also why I can’t come out to my parents. My father is a Catholic straight and narrow. Although he’d accept me for who I am, it would make him immeasurably sad, to think his son would “Burn in hell”.

8. Hexagon

You can be religious and gay. I don't see why you'd want to be though.

9. English Frenchman

Some people feel the need for spiritual guidance. To have a certain comfort that in the end, good things will happen to good people.
    There are groups of gay religious people all throughout the world.

10. Hexagon

I know...

11. English Frenchman

Why wouldn’t you, if you’d grown up in a religious environment and that you truly believed in that religion and not just to please your parents, be part of a faith? And wouldn’t you be upset if you couldn’t, just because someone said your sexuality won’t let you?
    The OP has valid concerns. The question is not whether or not they want to be part of a faith. We’re not here to judge that. We’re just here to tell them they can.

12. Hexagon

I was.

All I'm saying is, the OP would probably be happier without it. No need to attack me over it.

13. GirlWhoWaited

I'm Catholic too. :smilewave It's tricky, but it's a part of me. You might want to check this out. New Ways Ministry We're not as alone as it seems. :slight_smile:

14. just a guy

just a guy Guest

Thanks for all the replies and responses. To answer Hexagon, I would like religion in my life because I feel that it would give me some sense of purpose.

15. apostrophied

Seriously? And who are you to decide what the OP would be happier with or without?! Religion is incredibly important to many of us, gay and straight alike. To assert that an online stranger would better off without it is simply offensive to me and probably the OP as well. Please, have the same respect for religious folks as you expect them to have toward you.

OP, yes you can. Especially in the States, where religion is a bigger part of daily life, there are so many Bible-believing churches that welcome gays. I'm pretty sure I even heard of gay-friendly evangelical churches. There's also MCC, but I think they're less conservative. I don't know if you're a guy or girl (can't check while writing a post), but if you're a girl, lesbepure.com has some encouraging content, esp. re purity. Just look up gay christian on Google and you're sure to find plenty of information.

I'll pray that you find a way to make it work! :slight_smile:

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apostrophied, OP's obviously male; look at his profile. It's to the left of his post; how could you miss it unless you just scrolled down to the bottom of the thread?

Don't worry, OP. There are lots of people in your situation.
    (Gay Christian 101 - Affirming God's good news and Bible truth for all GLBTs.) for Christians that takes the Bible in context instead of ripping quotes from it.
    I'm an atheist myself, but I learned a lot from this site. I think it'll help with your conflicted feelings, man.:thumbsup:

#16 An Gentleman, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  17. apostrophied

@an gentleman, I forgot to check while reading his post, and while writing, you can't see people's profile info beyond just their name (at least not on my phone). Either way, I find that the articles on lesbepure.com, even though they are addressed to women, will be uplifting to both genders.