1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning 17 in a week :/

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Williamtheloner, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Williamtheloner

So as you all know I will be turning 17 on the 14th, and honestly I don't feel like a 17 year old. Physically I feel like an old man, I have a stick thin figure unlike most people my age who are lean and buff, I haven't played any sports in God knows how many months and mentally I feel like I'm 13 or 14. My self esteem has never been lower. I feel like I haven't had the experiences the a normal 17 year old has. I have little to no friends and poor social skills due to my crippling social anxiety, most of my conversations with people my age end up in awkward silences. I have never went on a date or had a girl/boyfriend, I never had a job, I very rarely go to parties and there is still so much more to mention. It's shocking that I'm a year away from being an adult because I don't feel that way at all. I am going to learn to drive soon though. I'm a senior in high school but somehow I still feel like a freshman. I'm going off to college next year and I'm not even sure if I am mentally capable of being independent or taking care of myself. It's so confusing and depressing.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm 23 and I could say a similar thing. For ages I've been stuck feeling like a teenager just like you.

You might find that when you go off to college, it's the kick start you need to feel more adult, it worked for my brother. Alternatively it might make you realise some of the things you can do yourself that could bring you closer to your goal of being a normal human adult, like it did with me!

Good luck either way, try and enjoy your birthday!

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a lot of trouble with being sociable/making friends as well.

Although I get very nervous, I try to do somehow like sit with people that I don't normally talk to at lunch, or talk to the person sitting next to me in class that I barely know. And its seems to be working, at least to some extent.

For the self esteem thing, this may sound stupid but it works: Just say ten things that you like about yourself every day and soon you'll be feeling better

4. GayNerd

Hi, buddy. (*hug*)

I have social anxiety as well. And what I do is just take a deep breath and relax. Sure, it doesn't always work, but it helps me whenever I need to present in the front of the class for something. And for people I don't really know that well, I just introduce myself and try talking to them at first like I'm making a new friend. If you do end up feeling uncomfortable when talking to strangers, act like you've known them for a long time. It works for me, and it should work for you.
    I hope this helps. :smilewave