1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gibson234, Nov 9, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it's still a month and a half off. But for my new years resolution I was thinking about saying to myself by the end of this year I want to have a six pack,pecks and so on. I don't mean like Arnold Schwarnegger or anything. Just enough to be "more attractive" if you know what I mean. The reason I want to do it is because I have struggled with low self esteem and part of that is that I think I'm not attractive. So by getting a "nice body" I might get more confidence which will help me develop as a person and make my life better. I'm not saying having a six pack will nessacry make my life better but the confidence I get from it might. It will be a challenge as I'm quite chubby at the moment (not fat) but that will be part of the confidence building.

Anyway do you think that this is a good idea?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can make your NYR anything you want it to be-- the good idea is sticking to it. I don't think having cut abs is an unrealistic resolution, so go for it! :slight_smile:

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the encouragement :slight_smile:

4. AKTodd

Not to discourage you, but I'd actually suggest a somewhat different approach to this. Reason being that 'six pack abs' can be easier, harder, or near impossible to get depending on a variety of factors, including your body type and genetics.

With that in mind, I'd suggest resolving to do something that will increase your fitness and health (good to do on general principles), that you can set regular milestones for to measure progress, and that may very well give you six pack abs, or at least a better body, as a result.

Two options that come to mind are to take up running, perhaps with the goal of running in a charity marathon or half marathon that is coming up in a year, or swimming, with the goal of being able to swim some significant distance (you determine what that distance is) in a year. Another part of this might be to sign up for a weight lifting class for next semester or quarter or however your school works. You get instruction on proper techniques, a set time to work out (although you may need to schedule additional time to get in a proper workout), and college credit for something you want to do anyway.

Re charity marathons - where I live they do several of these and the groups that sponsor them apparently give really good instructions on just what you need to do to go from couch potato to being able to run 13-26 mi in less than a year. A co-worker at my last job did it and he went from rather chubby to slim and trim in a relatively short time.

Whether you get a six pack out of it or not, with these sorts of options you get a definite improvement in your fitness, education in how to maintain or continue it, and an improvement in your appearance and self-esteem. Six pack abs may just be a bonus. Or maybe won't seem so important at that point.

Mt 2c worth.

Todd

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the idea of exercise and muscle toning is very good idea for helping with confidence and of course general fitness

If you are going to hit the gym I really would recommend you get some routines planned for you by a personal trainer

I remember after a few months, I was lifting weights opposite a mirror in the gym and I suddenly noticed how my body shape had changed for the better - less flab and stronger arms and shoulders ... it was quite a boost

:thumbsup: