1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I matter?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sitri, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Sitri

Sometimes I feel as if nobody would miss me if I were gone. None of my friends really seem to care about me or my life. I ask them what they've done and they ask each other but nobody cares about me. I think they only tolerate my presence because every once in a while I make a witty comment. A machine to dispense jokes. I am by far the weakest link on the team. I probably just drag them down by participating. If I weren't there we might be finally be able to beat walnut hills. My brothers seem to avoid me. Whenever I try to talk with them they come up with a lame excuse and leave. My parents would miss me certainly, but they'd be better off without me, like how somebody likes cigarettes but would be healthier without them. They spend so much time and money taking me to therapists, hypnotists, trying new pills to make me happy. Those work certainly, I have no doubt that without those I'd have killed myself years ago, but maybe that wouldn't have a bad thing. The last kind thing somebody said to me was a girl called me her "math buddy " because I helped her solve a trig problem. Who have I really helped? Everything King Midas touched turned to gold, but everything I touch turns to crap. Is anything better for my passing!? What is my value!? So far it feels negative.

2. Boston

Out Status:
    Some people
    Of coarse you matter. I may not know you but I'm sure you're a wonderful person. Sometimes you just need to find new friends if you don't feel wanted. You are not a burden to everyone. Please don't commit suicide or harm yourself I know it's hard and that would seem to make everything easier but we would miss you. Your parents love you and so does somebody else even if you haven't met them yet. Remember that it gets better one day you're going to be happy. Find new people and surround yourself in those that makes you happy. Please don't give up.

3. tex st

tex st Guest

you matter just because you exist. you matter. you don't have to be of any practical use to people to matter. your inherent value is your existence. that is a REAL FACT, not subjective/perception.

there's light at the end of the tunnel, just because it's hard to see that light right now, that doesn't mean that there's no hope.

remember! we all get bogged down and have rough days, just because our perspective is a bit limited, that doesn't mean warmth, love, and friendship aren't in store. get up when you're knocked down and you'll get to a better place

you matter

#3 tex st, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes - you matter - and please don't ever think otherwise!!! Every human has a unique place and experience on this planet. The things that you describe (like friends, brothers ignoring you) will soon fade in to insignificance when you move on in life and the world and opportunities open up to you.

For the shorter term... you probably need to exert some control over your social situation - because - if that can be polished up a bit - it will lift your mood up with it and I mean things like pushing yourself 'out there' to be more of a social animal, make some NEW friends, join some interest groups or do volunteer work. That sort of thing. This will all help and will distract you somewhat from the depressive thoughts ?

Help more people.. get more "maths buddies", get geography buddies, history buddies.. Just that sort of interaction will give you a lift. And can lead to some seriously good friendships.

If you go around avoiding people or isolating yourself it will just lead to people ignoring you even more - I'd seriously try and reverse that trend over the coming weeks. Do you see where i'm coming from?

5. flatlander48

Perhaps you are a Prince (or Princess, without making assumptions) in waiting. We don't know one way or the other.

However, what is known is that Life isn't necessarily linear. We have lulls, we have slowdowns and we have speedups. And, sometimes it's not about what WE do. It's about what happens AROUND us or things that happened just because we were THERE. Not that we did anything, but for some reason, our presence changed the course of events.

I can't say how things would be with or without you. But, I do know this: they would clearly be DIFFERENT without you. You seem like a smart fellow. Think about that...

6. dopey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yes you matter, you will feel it at some other places if you don't where you are right now. be out and about. :wink:

7. Goodnyte

I use to feel the same way. Hell, I still feel the same way half the time. This is one of those things where you have to believe you matter, because you do. Everyone exists for a purpose. You just haven't found yours yet. Keep holding on, because I promise it gets better. You just need to find just one person who will make you feel important. That is what helped me (even though he is waay too old Bleh).

Your brother and friends probably just don't know how to relate to you. People who want to talk to and have fun with someone but don't know how to relate to them, generally avoid them. That is what I have a tendency to do and my friends use dot do that with me too.

Hurting yourself is never the answer, I assure you that. It not only hurts you, but it hurts everyone who cares about you.

8. GayNerd

Hi there. (*hug*)

You do matter. In a way, everybody is connected somehow, and without even just one person, lots of things would go wrong. If it helps, try making new friends or just explain to your current friends what it feels like when they ignore you.

As for your brothers, maybe find a hobby all of you enjoy. Or, spend some overall family time together. It would really do wonders.
    I hope this helps. :smilewave

9. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course YOU MATTER...

The way I see it, you are a very INTELLIGENT person. You just have to find other ways to communicate to those who do not understand your language. And you have to start seeking new people who speaks the same language as you do, I believe you knew what I mean, find people you can relate to and who can relate to you whether it's thru studies or hobbies. Continue to EXPAND and don't ISOLATE yourself.

You are still YOUNG... the WORLD is out there... There's more to DISCOVER...

Don't try to think hurting yourself, believe me (I've been there) it's not worth it. There's MORE to LIFE than this... Cheer up!!!