1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think I have a problem with alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DarkClarity, Nov 12, 2013.

1. DarkClarity

For the past few weeks I've drunk at least one can of beer or a glass a wine everyday. And I'm finding myself looking forward to the drink, its one of the first things I think about when I wake up, I feel like I need it. It's become a daily ritual. Everyday at around 17:00 I'll have a drink. It doesn't matter whether my mood improves or worsens, I simply like the fact that it makes me feel something, some sort of emotion. It reminds that I'm capable of feeling such emotions.

On Monday night, I got drunk and I felt the happiest I've ever felt in years and yesterday I spent the day nursing the hangover and I lied to my mother about feeling ill because I didn't go to Uni. Its because of this why I'm questioning my relationship with booze. A part of me feels like I've hit a new low. Now I've lied about things in the past but there's just something about this that feels particularly pathetic. I don't binge drink or get myself into trouble or anything, in fact, I do most of my drinking at home, which is part of the reason why I feel pathetic.

Anyway, I want a second opinion on this. This is only a recent thing. I never had a problem with alcohol in the past. I hope this all makes sense.

2. apostrophied

SERGE AND DENIS PRESENT LOW-RISK DRINKING - YouTube

Rule of thumb is you should be able to abstain 1-2 days per week. I can't judge whether or not your drinking is problematic, but the fact that you worry about it makes me think that you should probably cut down. Good for you for realizing that yourself!! Good luck.

3. photoguy93

This has been happening for a few weeks? Not to say that it's not possible to have a problem, but I think that you might just be sensitive about it right now, for some reason. I wouldn't label you anything yet

Typically, most people don't think they have problems. So since you do, just tell yourself you won't drink for a bit. Maybe just do it for a night, or even delay the drink for the night, then don't have one the next night...etc. Also, talk to someone close to you if you're really worried.

Just thought about it...so I will add - you mentioned that you look forward to this, like you're going home and doing it. If you're driving while doing it, or taking it to work because you just can't wait, or caring for your baby cousin while drinking heavily....then that's where you should start worrying a lot.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rule of thumb for me: If you begin questioning whether or not it's a problem, it probably is. And the fact that you look forward to that drink more than anything else in the day is also pretty indicative.

Maybe you could try other methods for feeling your emotions better? Introspection works for me, but it's different for everybody.

5. Skov

I don't know if you have a problem now and I won't say anything about that, but your motives for why you drink are concerning to me. Having a drink at night to unwind after a day is totally fine, but when you are drinking "to feel," that worries me a bit. I'd maybe try to lay off for a bit and see how that makes you feel.

P.S. Don't feel too bad about missing class because you were hungover once. It's college. Stuff happens. I heard people talking about that earlier in one of my classes today. Just don't let it become a habit.