1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do most people stop looking after 30?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Okay, so, I figure I will not find anyone by the time I'm 30. What age do most people find someone? I mean, like when your options become limited. Seems to me like most people are married by the time they turn 24. I keep getting stood up on dates and this is Oklahoma so...

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing I want to bring up is that even if people find someone in their 20s, it doesn't mean they're "off the market" forever. People break up. People are single and looking at every age.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is no magic number ... anywhere.

When you say married by 24, I'm assuming that's straight marriage. Right around you, in OK, NE, KS and parts of TX, I would say that it's earlier than other states. On the populated coasts, no one is married at 24. Well, maybe some high school sweethearts.

Why do you think you are getting stood up? Sometimes, we can look at patterns and figure out additional patterns. The more you concentrate on a time frame or age, the more anxious you will be.

I might say that some people, both male and female, stop looking at 40 or 45, and not 30. It has to do with being used to be on one's own, the numbers game, and the fact that a union after that might seem more like settling rather than an irresistible matching of chemistries and personalities.

4. CupcakeKisses

:frowning2: sorry to hear that you're getting stood up! I'm 25 and I have high hopes of one day marrying the girl of my dreams, so lets hope they don't stop looking after 30. I definitely won't! :slight_smile:

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on where you're from and what you're doing in life. Being from the West Coast and in graduate school, I don't feel like I'm behind the curve at age 26. Do I occasionally worry that I'll never find anyone? Yeah, just like every other single person out there.

You're 19. Go live your life and do what you want to do and don't force yourself into anything because you feel like you're supposed to.

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I mean like, I have a date set up with a guy I meet online and then he never shows up. Happens every time.

I just have this bad feeling that this is what's going to happen. I don't know how it could end up any different. My parents tell me everyone thinks that at 19 but I know better. Idk. After getting a stood up again tonight I just feel hopeless.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all: yes, everyone thinks that way at age 19. What's more, everyone thinks like that the moment they get stood up.
    Because the media tend to give us the idea that everyone over 16 is full-time in a relationship or dating, and because getting stood up is a pretty depressing feeling, generally.

But... in both those cases your pessimism is unwarranted. In fact, many people (and doubly so for gay people, who generally take some time to deal with their sexuality) don't even start until they're 18 or 19 and moving into college. Of the ten or so friends I had in highschool, only one dated in highschool. All of the others only started in college. Not because they were unfit to date, but just because for them it was the right time to start.
    So, by that metric, you are bang on target for the start of your dating career. You shouldn't consider a race as lost right after the starting signal!

Also, getting stood up sucks. On the other hand, it's proof you tried. You didn't get what you wanted on the first few tries, perhaps, but here's a secret: no one does. OK, technically some do, but they're s small minority. It's also a sad fact that a lot of people do chicken out.
    In any case, the only way to meet with success is to keep trying. Try different approaches, but never just give up!

8. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Maybe, but I feel like I have reason to think like that. Im gross, I'm a little chubby and I'm not attractive. It's hard for me to build up the courage to ask someone out every few months, only to get stood up.

9. Ludlow

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    The first thing is the way you refer to yourself. You may be a little chubby, and you may not be Ryan Reynolds, but gross is a pretty strong word.

Physical attraction does play a part, but personality is king. In fact the only time I have ever considered someone gross was their personality. People do gross things but personality makes them gross

If you believe yourself ugly you will be, even if you look like Blake Lively

On the age thing, my friend got a divorce from his wife of 18 years came out of the closet and has now been with his boy friend for 5 years. He is 48

My Mother's Husband aka "Pappy" is 2 years older then me.

Age means little

#9 Ludlow, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. AKTodd

I met my partner when I was 27. I had other relationships before that, one lasting three yrs. but I didn't even have my first experience with a guy (or any awareness that I would want to) until I was 19.

You have lots and lots of time to find someone, nor are you required to stay in Oklahoma for the rest of your life.

As far as your appearance - standards of beauty are subjective. Just because you don't have six pack abs doesn't mean you are doomed to be alone or anything like that. When you meet someone who likes you, they will like you for the total package that is you, and that will include whatever level of fitness or type of body you may have. If you want to start working out do so. But don't go into it with the idea that you're ugly (I'm sure you're not) or that the only way to get anyone to like you is six pack abs or the like.

Todd

11. penguin machine

My mom and dad were married i their early 20's, and divorced by the time I was 3. I shouldn't exist because they shouldn't have been together. But they were young and stupid. My mom met her next husband around 29-31 and they were together for at least 7 years. Her current boyfriend she's been with for about 6 or so years now and they met in their late 30s. As long as you're looking, you'll find people. There's no cut-off age. If you're asking, at some point, do you just stop caring, well, that's up to you.

And my god, you're 19. Don't give up so quickly. I was 23 when I came out and I've been dating a guy for 9 months. If I can find somebody, you surely can, and in a reasonable amount of time too.

12. MLE

MLE

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel that same way. It feels like every effort you make is kind of for nothing and that everyone will be taken by the time I'm 30.

13. kumawool

This.

14. fortheloveoflez

Unfortunately as LGBT individuals our dating pool is smaller....

I don't really want to give up ever though