1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Childrens book

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Nov 15, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Message to mods: Sorry if this is the wrong place for this! I was going to stick it in chat, but I really want it to be seen and advised on, but if you think it should be moved, please do.

Anyway on to my thing.

So I'm told I'm good at telling children stories. Am I? If I'm honest, yes, but I've never written one down. I've also never really told one that meant much and I'm not great at ending them. What does this have to do with anything, I shall explain?

The day I told my younger sisters I would be living my life as Holly, the youngest (8) thought about it for a while and after about an hour had come up with a story.

Needless to say HER version involved a tiger getting itself skinned by a poacher and having new skin sewn on, or alternatively getting zapped by a witchdoctor. But it was her way of understanding what I was saying.

To her mind, I was the tiger. I was born with stripes but I really want spots.

Now her the Head Teacher of the school has asked her to write it with me (I used to work there). She has given me the idea, and while I intend to change quite a lot, I am using her basic framework.

Basically I was wondering, if I manage to get bits of it written down, would anyone out there read it and tell me what they think? It'll only be picture book style and since its based on a child's understanding of the issue it doesn't exactly go DEEP and won't completely cover it, but I'd like to make sure the message gets across OK.

Thanks. Holly xxx

2. Silver Sparrow

3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like a great idea. I'd love to read it!

4. Mdub

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd love to read it as well. Just posted a thread looking for children's books that might help when I tell my 9 & 7 yr olds that I'm gay. Doesn't seem to be much out there for the younger set.