1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression and Therepy? but Parents?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by metoo, Nov 16, 2013.

1. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For many reasons right now I feel that I could benefit greatly from therepy. However, I don't know how to bring this up with my parents.

When I first came out to my mom she suggested that I go to a doctor. I took that as her saying that maybe a doctor could figure out what is "wrong" with me. But she followed that up by saying, "or a therepist just to deal with all the stress." At this point I wanted her to think that I was confident in my sexuallity, and not questioning it, so I sort of closed that topic.

Now, for reasons other than my sexuallity, I think that I basically need a therepist to continue to function without having major mental breakdowns, but I try to hide all of my depression from everyone in my life, especially my parents. My middle name is Joy, and my parents actually changed it to that when, as they say, they realized I was so joyful. I don't feel very joyful at this point in my life, but I feel some pressure to live up to my name, so I hide my depression.

Basically I need some advice on how to bring up the topic that I would really like to see a therepist to my parents. I don't want them to worry a ton about me or think that I am hiding things from them (which I am), but I don't have anyone that I can talk to. My parents think that I tell them everything, and trust me completely, so I'm worried that instead of letting me see a therepist they will just offer to talk to me themselves.

I don't feel comfortable talking to them myself though. I cut myself. One time my dad said that he thinks that cutting is animal behavior and crazy and disgusting. I don't want him to think that I am that way.

I just really want someone to talk to, because I feel like no one understands me, and I can't be myself. Any advice? :eusa_doh:

2. LD579

There's no easy way to do it, but what you've just said would suffice well. You'll have to tell your parents something to that effect, at any rate, assuming they'll be helping finance it. I'm not sure how old you are, but if it'd be much more sensible for your parents to help pay for some or all of it, then they at least need to know that you're seeing a therapist, and that it's helping you as compared to no therapy at all. There's a very big difference between parents, who want the best for you with a giant heap of emotional and love-based overtones, and therapists, who listen and help you guide yourself. If you do think you'd benefit from therapy, it probably would not hurt to try it at all.

Keeping that in mind, make sure that you do not feel pressure from your therapist, and that you feel comfortable enough to tell mostly everything, if not everything, in your mind, and that you do so. Therapists can't help you if they do not have most or all of the story. In that sense, part of it is what you put in. I daresay that the output of therapy is completely dependant upon what the patient puts in... as well as the therapist's competence and their chemistry with each other, but the bolded portion is very important to keep in mind. Good luck =]

3. Silver Sparrow

Have you thought about writing down/planning out what you want to say?

4. Robben

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sought therapy when I knew I was seeking too much approval from others. My family is more generalized than it was growing up. I have to admit my family today comprises of those who can be supportive. I find the positive side to therapy to be that answers come, and that there is a resolution to crisis. You may not be dealing with the same issues that I am. You seem to be looking to strengthen your character traits, which include your being gay. I have had this issue with my family, and I have decided they are not really the one's cut out for this work. Be careful though some therapists insist on converting their patients to being straight. Let them know you are there for a reason, but it's not to become straight.