1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police. Police. Calm down. But need opinions.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tightrope, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a very negative situation when I had a condo I sort of liked. The neighbors were aloof but nice in a superficial way.

A woman involved in tech owned the unit with which I had a common wall. I thought she was cool. In her bedroom 2 was a "charity case," a tacky hairdresser about 35 who was staying in there because they were friends and she was down on her luck. The first time I met her she introduced herself to me and said "I just came back from a weekend at Al-Alon." Thank you for sharing. I didn't enjoy event talking to her.

When I was doing some work in my unit (paint, textured ceiling, etc.) there was some noise, but allowable by the CCRs for the condo. Her bedroom (#2) abutted my bedroom 2. She didn't like my answer so she resorted to calling the local city's police.

This happened three times. The first cop and the third cop were cool, and conveyed that she was a dipshit. The second cop got mad that I got a little heated, telling him I pay a mortgage, condo fees, and taxes, and I'm bettering my unit while she's a roommate, and was threatening to take me in. It didn't happen. The third visit, the noisiest, for which nothing happened, had to do with moving furniture on floor boards to get new carpeting installed at about 6:30 am and for a duration of 30 minutes. The policeman shrugged it off.

Nothing then happened. She tried to ingratiate herself with "I'll be leaving." Considering the trouble she caused for her whacko reasons, I told her "Good, you white trash skank." She looked down and moved on. Good riddance.

Could cop #2 have pulled me into the police precinct and on what basis? Would the precinct head have thought he was ridiculous and just sent me home? Cops 1 an 3 perceived her to be the problem when I showed them the condo rules on doing remodeling.

#1 Tightrope, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They could pull you in for questioning/reasonable suspicion of violating local noise ordinances, if there are any that applied to the time you were working. (Fines at worst I think.) They'd probably do what they did to begin with and let you free, because doing work around the house is not a crime. If there are no applicable noise ordinances, that roommate is an idiot.

Even if you broke the condo rules in any way, that's not a criminal case you could be arrested for. That's probably not even grounds for civil action. The worst they could do is kick you out, and that's on the landlord's decision.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the response. I believe you could work on your unit until 10 pm. I think one time it was until 9:20 pm. I was paiting with a roller brush on a shared wall. She called the police.

I owned the unit. She was freeloading off a friend. I think the condo association could have gotten mad or sent me a letter, but they didn't.

Just in case you folks don't know, when there is a call for a dispute between a man and a woman, cops arrive with the presupposition that a man is at fault and that, owing to testosterone, he could be the one to fly off the handle. They've probably seen in it domestic arguments and the profiling is often valid. This was a neighbors argument. I'm glad cops 1 and 3 were cool and seemed to have sided with me.

It's really sad that nut jobs like this immediately dial 911 to take care of petty squabbles and waste taxpayer resources. Actually, her calls should have first gone to the property management company, but she knew she didn't stand a chance (especially being a boarder), calling the PD had more punch. Oh, yeah, every Saturday morning, I woke up to her bass turned up long before this ever happened, yet never said anything.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I've got to say to that is... didn't she have anything better to be doing, like literally watching paint dry?

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had her pegged very quickly. Too much make-up, too much spandex, too desperate, and I learned she had "gone to an Al-Anon weekend retreat" within 2 minutes of meeting her. I guess she didn't like being ignored, so that's how she chose to deal with it. However, in that particular complex, I never got chummy with any of the neighbors, and there are always 1 or 2 I take a liking to. In addition to the bass on Saturday mornings for which the vibration transmitted, I got to hear somebody having sex with her a time or two. I was sort of happy she had someone in her life, and for a while she seemed in better spirits. Whether or not she could keep someone in her life was another story.