1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by twospiritlycan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Recent events that occurred have made me reconsider what I'm doing with my life.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I want to do vs. What I should be doing. On one hand, I have some friends tell me I should take Engineering and Science because it would benefit me, moneywise, in the long run.
    I like Science and Mathematics, but sometimes it's something I get frustrated with because of the constant calculations and concepts. I like astronomy, it's fun. I just feel like I would fail at it. I haven't done math in quite awhile.
    On the other hand, I have another couple friends and my mother telling I should do what I love. I love to Draw, I have an art page, filled with ponies, but that's something I do in my free time. I love to read and write, although I should've gotten on writing when I was in my early teens because it's bloody difficult as hell now.
    Most of all, I love music. I love playing it, I love reading it, I sometimes tried to write compositions before. I read some interesting music theory books. A lot of it made sense to me when I applied it hands on.
    I'm thinking of majoring in either Writing or Music instead of Engineering and Science. What puts me off is the friends who want me to major in Science believe I won't make a living off of Writing, Drawing, and Music and become a homeless person.
    This is kind of complicated, but when I think about what my mother said, I feel like I should go for majoring in Music instead, and try to major in writing as well.

Everything feels like a jumbled mess, especially with dealing recent events that brought me to this decision making.

2. apostrophied

Homeless might be a bit of a strong word, but you won't be rich, that's pretty much or sure. Will you be able to pay back your loans on a small salary? The music major pays the same tuition as the engineering major, but one of them will have his loans paid off a little sooner than the other. Have you thought about double majoring? If you know you are good at math, I wouldn't worry about it having done it in a while, just take a few community college classes to refresh your memory.

That said, if you think you'd be 100% miserable in engineering and you have a real talent for music and desperately want to do that, you could probably find a way to make it work. :slight_smile: