1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bullying

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by geek101, Nov 20, 2013.

1. geek101

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    how to deal with homophobic bullying:help:

2. juliegt6

When I was in high school I just kind of ignored it as best I could, and dove in to coursework. It sucked but it did get better.

For anything since, I've not experienced any bullying at all. But just in case I find myself unable to get away from an asshole on the street, I have a .45 1911 with hollowpoints to defend myself.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have experienced what is termed "organizational bullying" much later than being in school, as an adult with plenty of work experience. It was for not fitting into a particular organization's tightly wound mindset. When it was happening, one is in survival mode, meaning you tune it out the best you can and make plans to seek other employment. It's not salvageable ... you can't buy someone's approval or someone's respect, even if you do good work, if there is a lack of chemistry and rapport at the very core of the situation. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can haunt one later.

The same is true in the school environment. Students either ignore it, bury their heads in their books, and some take action to fight it. There is no right answer. Usually, the student assesses what can be done and how it can play out. If a student comes home to parents who are not supportive, or even blame the student, the student will take the ignore / focus on the books approach. Some are damaged by it. For others, later victories offset its effects.

Bullying is entirely gratuitous. It's about beating someone's chest and reinforcing a social pecking order. It's an extension of Darwinism. Theoretically, it should decrease during someone's life, and not increase.

4. blueberrymuffin

I guess this is happening at school? No one can help you if you don't talk about it. You don't need to say why you're getting bullied, but it's their job to make it a safe learning environment. If it gets real bad, you could threaten to sue. That will force the school to do something. You can go above any useless teachers and principal and file criminal charge if there's violence. They'll just end up in jail as adults anyway. May as well get that process rolling instead of suffer.

In the meantime, try to stay safe. Don't walk around alone, sit near front of class if possible. Remember none of this is your fault. They are petty haters and will fail in life. Finally and this might seem to make no sense, but if a gay label really sticks, you might want to just own it. There are cases where they back down or some will come to your defense if you're all "Yeah i'm gay. Big deal." Not saying this would happen but it might.

5. blueberrymuffin

One other thing, i ended up transferring schools. If it's so bad, you can do this. Don't get so down that you think of dropping out or hurting yourself. At another school, you won't have that label.