1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this normal? (Straight friend)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by XBallantine, Nov 23, 2013.

1. XBallantine

I'm always the type of guy to convince myself that people are straight unless otherwise stated to avoid getting heartbroken. I have had my fair share of being 'confused' and getting 'mixed signals' from several guys, that I now tend to ignore any type of body language that guys give off to avoid me over analysing things.

I really feel though, that I must share this story with you guys, to get a feel of what other people think.

My university enrols lots of students from overseas, it's pretty renowned for that. One student in my class was from overseas and needed major help with understanding some articles. We became close and I would kind of summarise stuff (verbally) for him so he could do his work.
    He was thankful for this. Very thankful. I got to know him more and more, as he would invite me out to chill and talk to me on the phone/other sites. Things became awkward at this point. He would always talk about love/sex life, my plans in life, if i had a significant other etc, in a way pressuring me to think about who I want to be with! He then began to do things that no one has ever done for me before. He bought me lunch. Food and drinks everything. He then invited me out again and bought me a drink on another situation. Then a week later he invited me out to a movie, just me and him and paid for my ticket.
    All these times I was adamant that I would pay for my own things because I wasnt comfortable and I felt bad. But with a smile, he would insist every time, push in front of me in the line and pay...
    Not only do I feel very guilty cause I don't like owing people things, but I just want to know if straight guys usually do this. I don't have many straight friends, or friends at all, and as I said I try to inhibit all feelings to prevent myself from getting hurt, so my social skills are rather low. I'm pretty sure he is straight as he says that he has a girlfriend, but the topics we discuss, his actions, his looks...all say otherwise.
    I try to convince myself that it's just in his culture (as he is from overseas) that he is very giving. But I'm sure that if you're straight in any country, one wouldn't spend so much money on a person of the same sex if you didn't like them? Perhaps he's repaying the favour as I helped him in school work? But I just feel that the repayment is not proportionate with what I have done!

Thoughts?

2. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe that's it, he's repaying you for helping him out. I'm not completely straight, but I'm kind of the same way, I'll buy food and pay for movie tickets and whatnot for other people because why not? I have the money and this was my idea. I wouldn't think too much on it. He's probably either just going along with his home country's culture, is repaying you for helping him, or is just plain generous.