1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do about my cat

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by flymetothemoon, Nov 25, 2013.

1. flymetothemoon

Completely unrelated to the purpose of the forum, but I thought I'd ask for some advice...I'm really torn about what to do about my cat. She is a rescue, and I've had her for about 3 years. Unfortunately, she's never really warmed up to people, but that isn't the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that she has had health problems since before I got her, and the organization I got her from didn't tell me that. I really can't afford to take care of a pet with some pretty constant health issues properly, so I feel like maybe I'm not the best home for her. She has feline herpes virus, which basically means she has chronic respiratory infections that need to be medicated. She also has chronic ear infections due to a mass in her ear that needs to be surgically removed, and most of her teeth are rotten and need to be removed surgically. I do like her and want her to have a good life, and I'm afraid I can't give it to her because I can't afford these medical treatments, but she is an older cat with severe health problems so I am concerned she won't find another home if I was to try to rehome her. I have considered calling a shelter, but I'd want her to go to a no-kill shelter, but I don't know if they will be able to give her the health care she needs either. Any advice at all?

2. Silver Sparrow

I don't really know what to say specifically, but you have to do what is going to be the best for you. Good luck!

3. scanner007

flymetothemoon,
    Take a picture of the cat, write a brief story on the cat like you did here detailing its health problems, your issues with having trouble caring for her, perhaps throw in a few cute things that makes this cat really stand out from other cats.
    Then, start contacting people, your local humane society, local newspapers, perhaps try a craigslist posting. On the web, try google with search terms like "homes for cats". There are lots of websites with listings and some websites are specific and help cats out that are rescues or that have certain health problems.
    tabbysplace.org
    rescuehouse.org
    petfinder, etc ,etc
    There are numerous sites that will help you get your cat seen so someone willing to pay the costs can care for her. I know in my own local area, we have a place simply called "The cat house", its a home for cats who otherwise wouldn't have one. More than likely, if you check with your local animal shelter or pet shop, they can help you find a similiar organization near your home. A lot of times places like these can have a waiting list, so its a good idea to try multiple venues to get the word spread as wide as possible.
    GOOD LUCK

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love cats .. and could not have said anything better than scanner007

But have you worked out why she is not warmed up to you at all? There may be therapeutic techniques to get you closer... but I am out of my depth here !

5. flymetothemoon

My thoughts as far as why she hasn't warmed up are that it is some combination of the fact that she is ill and doesn't feel well so she doesn't want to be bothered and also that she spent an uncertain amount of years in a cat hoarder house with over 100 cats where people weren't there to be warmed up to by the cats.