1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hearing Queers?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DesertTortoise, Nov 29, 2013.

1. DesertTortoise

I've been working at learning ASL... American Sign Language. Wish I started this 20 years ago.
    This hearing thing... don't know how to deal with it. Like... I'm not deaf. I hear.. but have a really difficult time understanding what people say. Like... most of the time. I go back and forth between being really annoyed, and kinda giving up. No matter how many times you explain--people don't know how, or don't want to ARTICULATE clearly, and slow down, and PROJECT... I wish I'd started learning ASL 20 year ago. At my age, not likely I'll ever be comfortably efficient with it, but if I could, I'd give up vocal speech. Right now. This minute. I mean, FUCK IT!
    What's the point? I don't understand what you're saying. So why should I say what you can understand, for your benefit, when you don't care enough to make the effort to speak so I can understand you?
    I can't afford the hearing aid... and the more I think about it, the more it feels like it's not for my MY benefit, but for the very people who won't bother--at best, on 3rd request, to speak so I can understand. So why spend the money?
    Makes me, like...wanna stop talking. If I can learn ASL.. you want to talk to me... learn it too!