1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the Only One Totally Alone for the Holidays?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GivePeaceAChanc, Dec 1, 2013.

1. When I came out that was the end, I talk to my parents twice a year with the rare emails and we negotiated that very carefully.

No one else in the extended family has heard from me in years. Plus I have just moved to a new city - I got nothing here. Just one friend who help me move who just had a wedding this weekend.

Everyone I am meeting is busy with their own families here.

2. Amerigo

physically no, i have plenty of family (though no friends) around me, emotionally however, well yeah sort of...

EC is here for you (*hug*)

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is pretty much my situation.

I have no family to spend the day with. The only family I have left in this area that I know is my father, but our relationship is not very good. Even if it were, he's part of a different family now. I did get invitations for some events early on, but that always felt uncomfortable.

I don't feel close enough to other relatives to crash Christmas, plus visiting them would require me to travel over 1,000 miles.

Christmas Day is generally spent alone, and in a deep depression.

I try to be mature, and accept this is the way things are. Maybe one day, I'll have a relationship, and have holidays again. Or maybe I'll have friends who are also alone. But...until/unless that time comes, I need to deal with the situation I've got.

One thing that makes it harder, too: I have zero close friends in my area. So I don't even get a holiday party.

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Givepeaveachanc
    Message me on Xmas if you want! You need to be a full member.
    BMC77 You too! Hugs!(&&&)
    I will be alone most of day too.

5. Heun

I'll also be spending the holidays in a new city (thanks to a sudden change in assignment), so I think I know where you are coming from. I'm also sorry to hear that you're not in regular touch with your family; I imagine that can be difficult.

Nevertheless I do wish you a safe and happy holidays whatever they may consist of!

6. Pete1970

This Thanksgiving had a very weird feeling. This will in all likelihood be our last holiday season as a complete "family". Everyone got along this weekend but it just felt off. Even today putting up the Xmas tree, it just didnt seem right. Has anyone else had these feelings this weekend?

7. Jessica79

I will have my family around but my family is just so odd and most likely my dad will be doing something at christmas so it will be like im alone and I have no partner to spend it with sooo :frowning2:

8. apostrophied

This sounds so sad, I'm sorry you have to be alone. :frowning2: (*hug*) Have you thought about volunteering to serve meals to the homeless on Christmas? They usually are looking for volunteers, and there's nothing like helping out to feel better. Plus you'll meet some new people. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

9. biggayguy

I have a seventy year old aunt that comes around three or four times a year. That probably won't last much longer because of her age. I call my dad on the phone regularly but he is seventy two. Most of my gay friends are on Facebook and here.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, but it's an interesting idea. Not sure if anyone does anything like that in my area, though.

I know someone who once had the idea of "someday" hosting a small Christmas Dinner each year for people who would, otherwise, be alone. I think she had at that point in history a small potential guest list. That idea intrigued me, although given the realities of where I live, a dinner party won't be happening until I live someplace else. Plus I don't know enough people in this situation to make a guest list.

11. animequeen567

My situation is complicated. I am in a position where I do not want to be around my father. My friend doesn't want me to have to deal with him so he's letting me stay with him for Christmas this year. It's gonna be hard because I don't want to hurt my mom, but it's not safe around my dad. My friend wants me to have a better Christmas and that's what I'm going to do.

12. apostrophied

Well a place like a soup kitchen, or call up some local ministries for the homeless (Salvation Army would be one) and ask them if they're looking for help serving meals during the Christmas season. I imagine they would, since I doubt many people would volunteer when they have tons of festivities going on, but the homeless need to eat anyway.

Maybe a local nursing home would like to have someone come by and visit with the residents whose children are not visiting them.

Or if there are a lot of people on the street where you live, you could pack sandwiches, cookies, and juice boxes and distribute them (I've always wanted to do this, and someday I definitely will!!!).

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can be with people and still be alone. Thanksgiving was like that. I could have just as easily gone out for Thanksgiving grub by myself. No need to elaborate on the whacko dynamics.

14. apocalypse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I feel like the world has abandoned me :frowning2: Emotionally...

15. Incognito10

I know several people who will be in a similar situation, just for different reasons (ranging from family issues, distance issues, religious/cultural issues. All ages too. I have a coworker who is has many friends and some local family but she has been single for years now and that is her preference. She said she enjoys having certain holidays alone.

16. etiggy

In the middle of moving to London.That's the plan.
    Same here.
    It gets quite emotional every year around the holidays, but I has a trick: got high as f*ck or drunk as sh*t for the whole week. Worked like a charm for the last four or five years.