1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by noahb1996, Dec 2, 2013.

1. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am currently a junior in high school and I can't wait to get to college. I feel like I will have a much easier time of coming out to people in college and meeting other gay men. My question is, how different is college from high school for LGBT people?

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience it is much different since everyone is doing their own thing and have their own schedules. People aren't really as close and there's definitely no gossip crap to put up with since nobody really knows anyone for the most part and are just busy trying to get through college. Also to note being gay in college isn't really a big deal to most people at all. Of course it depends on if the college is religious or not among other things, but in general people don't care.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are colleges that are more LGBT friendly than others. As you're looking at schools, make sure you get a sense for that. See what resources there are and talk to students or advisers.

4. jll2755

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I went to a small high school in western mass and now i go to a small college in the greater boston area and i havent really noticed a difference. I've had a few incidents here just like a did in high school. So i guess staying at a small school might not have been a great idea but it really depends where you go. But overall i have found that a lot of people our age really just dont care about sexuality anymore.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've gotten the perception that there is far less in the way of idiots/riffraff in college. Unlike in high school, students generally aren't being forced to go. They go because they WANT to go, and because they had the academic chops to get accepted.

Unless you're talking a conservative/religious college, it's safe to say you're choosing a very good atmosphere for coming out.

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to both a relatively small high school and college, both around 800 students each and I found college to be more accepting, even though I attend a Christian College. A liberal Christian college, but Christian non the less.

I currently attend a state/secular University or graduate school and it has about 25,000 students, but only 6,000 would live on campus, including me. It is really accepting here, we even have an LGBTQ student center that has it own library. There are always going to be some who are not, but one can always find people to be friends with and to be themselves with.

7. Gingerblond93

I'm in college and find college is very accepting of LGBT people.

I have a group of friends at college that's a mix of gay and str8t and we all hang out and get along with each other well. What someones sexuality is, really is not a big issue. One of my other gay friends just got a BF and everyone was happy for him.

On the other hand High School can be so petty, gossipy and drama overload. Unless your high school has a lot of openly LGBT people and perhaps clubs, I would not come out until you go to College. A lot really depends on the HS and the other kids going there and how open and liberal they are overall.