1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicidal Friend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by HarryIsCute, Dec 2, 2013.

1. HarryIsCute

Hey everyone, so I'm talking with a friend on Skype text chat who recently came out to me as being gay. He is 14 and is really depressed because people keep ragging on him about being gay. I really love him as a friend and don't want anything bad to happen to him. I am only 17 and I don't know what to do! I keep telling him that it will get better but he doesn't believe me! Please someone help me help him!

2. MatthewJS

did you ask him what suicide will do to his family?

3. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ask your friend to talk to you before he feels like doing anything. Often times having an outlet such as someone who is willing to just listen can help take the suicidal edge off for that moment. I also suggest you reach out to someone who can help your friend (i.e. school counselor, a parent, etc.). No one wants to feel like they are betraying their friend, but some situations require outside intervention.

You are already being a good friend by wanting to help him out and seeking out means so keep that up! Keep the dialogue open with him

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Refer him to the Trevor Project. It's a confidential chatline for LGBT teens and they have counselors trained if someone is seriously thinking of committing suicide.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Reinforcing positives and letting him know that things will get better is already good. Try to encourage him to speak with a teacher or a counselor or somebody else that he can trust as well. And of course reinforce that you are there for him as well whenever he needs somebody to talk with.

If he lives in the United States, let him know about the Trevor Project. As biwinning said, the Trevor Project is a confidential hotline for LGBT teens. Here is their website and their toll free number is: 866-488-7386.

Is he out to his other friends, parents, or another family member?