1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another lonely guy in love with best friend seeking help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jtwist, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Jtwist

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm sure there have been so many of these posts already because everyone's case is different but I really don't know where else to go. I'm in my second year university I'm pretty athletic though I'm not a giant sports fan. I pay attention to masculine things because I don't want to seem gay. I have a girlfriend for the past two years who is very in love with me but I don't feel the same way. Last year on one of the first few days I noticed a guy in one of my classes who I found so perfect even though he is not. Very pretty boy. Early in the year we would make eye contact a lot one time we stared into eachothers eyes for like 5 seconds. Maybe I'm wrong and biased because of my crush on him but whatever. He was totally geeky scrawny and dressed nice, he has a very perfect face. Anyway I felt gay vibes from him for sure and when I first heard him talk I thought his voice sounded gay but it may just be nerdy. I was sure he was gay and I really wanted to know him so I made it my goal to become friends. We started talking at the beginning of this year and we instantly hit it off. We were inseparable and always sat with me in classes. The more I got to know him the less I thought he was gay. He turned out to be a very big sports fan he is extremely religious and he grew up with very straight boy likes. It really really confused me nothing fit together. Anyway we had a strange friendship, our other friends are constantly commenting on how we are like a married couple. We fight a lot but we also smile way more and he makes me extremely happy. As we got closer we became more touchy though only when we were alone at school. We have never hung out outside school by the way. We played footsies a lot. One time we sat quietly holding hands for a few minutes. The problem is I really couldn't find reassurance in his homoness. He never looked at guys or even glanced at my junk ever. He also never talks about girls or looks at girls though. Maybe he just doesn't have sexual thoughts. Anyway there is not a single person who thinks he's gay because he really doesn't act it, but I thought he liked me. So one day after a fight we were both stressed, me mostly about my attraction to him. When he asked me what was wrong I told him he didn't want to know and I was scared but he reassured me. I asked him if he liked me and he said like a friend. I told him not to tell anyone I asked. He immediately distanced himself from me and I was so lonely. We never talked anymore though he wasn't that crazy about texting before either. At school we sat together sometimes but only exchanged a few words. I asked him if he was mad eventually and he said not really but to give him some time. Eventually we started talking again at school and it was pretty normal with smiles but I can always sense a little discomfort. At school he is very pleasent but otherwise totally ignores me. I know this means he probably doesn't care about me. But he used to text me saying he missed me and he would say he's excited to see me at school and such. I think he may just be immature and very uncomfortable and I'm denial but I don't know. In any case I really miss him and I don't know what to do? Should I ignore him aswell but do it at school maybe he will feel bad? Should I try to act normal around him and just let him go with it. Do you guys think there is any chance that he does like me but is really not ready for it at all and should I wait. I really do love him, but if he is straight I need to get over him. Sorry for the extremely long post. Please help a dude out. I'm lost lonely frustrated and confused and I hate it.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2013 at 06:08 PM ----------

Ps he doesn't have friends outside school but also doesn't care at all about it. He's super cool everyone that knows him likes him.

2. Gen

Gen

Truthfully, I would not continue pursuing any relationship, platonic or romantic, that isn't having effort given from both sides. It does not mean that he is a bad person. He could just be really struggling with it all. As you suggested, he could even be struggling with his own sexuality if he actually did feel something for you. Though you have to recognize that you deserve better than a cold shoulder and avoidance. Waiting on him to come around, or continuing to pursue him when he seems to be pushing you away, is not fair or healthy for you. I would try your best to move on. It doesn't mean that you have to completely shut him out, only that you accept that focusing on him just isn't what is best for you right now.

I also would like to add that you have nothing to be ashamed of. People in this world will always find something to criticize and judge you on. There is not point in trying to hide who you are to appease them.