1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nichison, Dec 2, 2013.

1. nichison

Ive had depression scince I've been 13, but its never been this bad before. Im a constant state of loneliness and sadness at school and I cry every night. My best friend left me some time ago, my grades are horrible, and my counselor is making things worse. I don't know what to do, it feels like my life is falling apart.

2. Tyrael

Hi there nichison, I am sorry to hear things have gotten this bad. If you don't mind me asking, what age are you now? What is the main reason you feel so down? Are people in school making life difficult because you are gay, or is it something else? Please feel free to talk here to all of us, we're here to help.

3. nichison

Hey Tyreal, im 16 right now and the main reason im feeling this way is my both my friend leaving me because I'm gay and my grades and im worried about getting into college.

4. Tyrael

Well 16 is not a fun age, even without the added pressure of being gay in a mostly straight society. Your best friend was not able to come to terms with you being gay? I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have a plan set for yourself, what you would like to do in college etc?

5. nichison

I want to go to fox valley tech in appleton WI to be a chef. Im going to try to get help from both my mom and my study hall teacher but this has not worked out well in the past.

6. Tyrael

Well it's good to hear you have a goal. It is not often easy to pin point a career choice when you're young. I'm 25 years old and I'm still struggling if I'm honest. Do you have the support of your mom? Does she know that you're gay or does that even matter in this case? What has happened in the past?

7. nichison

My mom definitely means well and she tries to help me, but shes not good at anything im doing at schools. As for knowing im gay, I would never tell her. I would rather tell my dad, and he was mentally abusive until i was 14. Dont get me wrong i love her to death, but i don't trust her with any of my secrets anymore. When i came out as an atheist, she told the entire family. When i got in trouble with drugs, she told everybody in the family. She said she wouldn't both times. The rest of my family is hardcore Catholic and i would probably be disowned.

In the past when i tried getting help with school, all they did is hand me my missing assignments and lecture me about my grades. They wouldnt help me.

8. Tyrael

I completely understand about your mom, no reason to stir up any more trouble there. Is your dad there for you now? I'm sorry to hear that he was like that. You're a strong person, you've come a long way, so always remember that. I'm an atheist myself, and my mum didn't understand either. It wasn't good. So I know how you feel.

I also dabbled in drugs, it's a slippery slope and I'm glad you're come off it (I assume you have?). I am sorry to hear your school hasn't been overly helpful but sadly I am not surprised. Is there a guidance officer you can speak to, to try and explain your failing grades?

9. nichison

I don't trust the counselor at my school as i have come to her with issues in the past and she wont help. She just told me that i better get working or i wont graduate with my class.

My dad is somewhat here for me now, i only see him on some weekends and holidays, hes not abusive anymore.

And yes, i have quit using, and im definitely happy for that, 10 months clean in fact.

10. Tyrael

I'm sorry to hear that she isn't helping you like she should. You will definitely benefit from getting those grades though, when you have the chance to. That's what I missed out on. I ended up back in college (Scotland so slightly different) when I was 22 years old, sitting the classes I should have done when I was 16 years old.

I am glad to hear your dad is there for you more now. That's how often I see my dad too. My parents separated when I was 8 years old.

Congratulations on quiting, I am glad to hear that :slight_smile: you will be better for it.

11. nichison

Thank you very much for everything Tyrael. It helped me out a lot just to be able to talk to someone. I will be talking to my both my mom and my teachers to get better grades, and im going to try to turn everything around. Maybe things will work out different this time. Thank you very much for caring. It means a lot to me.

12. Tyrael

That's perfectly ok. Please do have the discussions you need to have, they won't be easy but it will help. You only get one chance to get these grades, without it impacting on later life decisions so it's best to get them while you can.

Please let me know how you get on, feel free to post on my wall or PM me when you get full membership, if you decide to.

13. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi

Sorry to hear about your useless counsellor.

As for your friend .. That sucks too. Is there any way of mending that relationship. If the answer is "no" can you try and park those thoughts while you get to grips with studies. It sounds like you have a neat career path you want to follow. It would be a pity if the mean attitude of your friend spoils those opportunities.

Keep posting on EC. Plenty here to give you good support.

Have you spoken to your doctor about the depression? Might help??

X