1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I deal with friend pushing beliefs on me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LilJazmyn, Dec 5, 2013.

1. LilJazmyn

This friend is not blatant or anything in his beliefs, but he constantly keeps on suggesting spirituality-related things to me. For example he has suggested things like reading up on Metatron and The Emerald Atlantian tablets (supposedly 50,000 yrs old) and healing crystals. And he believes that souls are 72 feet tall and other ancient Pagan-sounding stuff (think Ancient Egyptians) Truthfully I think this is all ridiculous-sounding from a 28 year old. I'm an atheist and I do not know how to tell him that I am simply skeptical of supernatural claims like those stated. We are good friends although I now see he's a bit eccentric and I'm not sure thebest course of action without hurting his feelings or insulting him.

2. Sully

3. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tell him he needs to stop doing that.

4. Kreiger

You should politely point out that you'll respect his beliefs but he should keep them to himself, especially if you've already made it clear you don't like discussing them.

5. LilJazmyn

Ok. But I really do not want to hurt his feelings or lose our friendship. Is there possibly any nicer way to go about this? And the video link--I'm on a celly now but I will look at it when I can get to a computer :slight_smile:

6. photoguy93

Then he isn't a friend you want? Especially if he can't listen to you! Now, all I have to say is that is he just really into this or is he determined to get you involved? That changes the situation.....

7. Daydream Harp

Just tell him straight out that you are an Atheist and just doesn't believe in anything beyond what humans can see with their own eyes. Perhaps even add a "sorry, and I don't mean to be rude or look down on your beliefs, I just don't believe in it myself so it feels a bit awkward that you want me to read up on all these things" or something like that.

If you are ever sick and he suggest some sort of healing crystal treatment or something though, consider this: maybe they have scientific healing we just haven't discovered yet, it might not hurt to try and he just want to see you get healthy again. Doesn't hurt to try IMO.

Oh and of course, whatever you do don't ever try and disprove his methods, just nicely state that you don't believe in anything spiritual at all and that you are not singling him out or anything if he feels you do.

8. LilJazmyn

Thanks for all the support guys. And what an interesting video :3