1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great Gay Image Crisis

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ninerw, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ninerw

I have noticed that I keep describing myself as this laid back, easy-going, non-scene gay. For a while I thought that was ok. I thought I was describing myself to a "T." And I still believe in that. But last night I finally found the courage to go to a Meetup. I'm sure it looked like I was a deer in headlights because one guy grabbed my arm and pulled me into the group! He told me he was tired of me walking around the room like I was actually having fun, and from there I began to open up.

The guys I met were awesome, and I was surprised at how the ones that I really made a connection to weren't the type of gay men I thought most were. They were like me. But that's my problem.

I found myself continuously trying to define who I was by how un-gay I was. I kept saying things like, "I'm the straightest gay guy you will ever meet." In some ways that is true, but one look at my ipod and it tells a different story. But I tried to keep telling them that I was this guy who didn't like dressing up, hated clubs, loves sports, and is not "flaming." And that word hit me like a ton of bricks. I actually felt really bad about saying it because I realized that the guys I had assumed were like that were just themselves. And it dawned on me that maybe I keep saying the things that I say because I am trying to prove to myself that I am a "normal" gay guy. I was the one who had the figurative flashing billboard above their head saying "Stand back, this is straight gay guy."

Of course as the night wore on I got really close to a handful of guys, and they were immediately receptive and inviting towards me. I had never felt more free to talk without being found out I am gay. And now I am just struggling with the whole image. How can someone be gay without looking gay? And I think we all know the answer to that one.

I don't feel like I have to change who I am, but for some reason I keep fighting the idea that who I am as a gay guy, and a person in general is ok.

Any advice or shared stories?

2. Pete1970

I don't have any stories. I would say just be yourself, everyone is different, there is no mold of how a gay guy should look or act.

I do have a question about meet ups. I went to meet up.com but there doesn't seem to be anything in my area. Are there other sites you know of to find meetups? I really want to make new friends and hangout with people that I don't have to pretend with.

Thanks

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can actually start your own, there is a cost, but it could be shared by the members who sign up (possibly).

Someone just started one here in Montreal, I signed up and look forward to getting together with them.

4. DesertTortoise

Okay... image: I'm happiest and most at peace when I feel most queer. If I start to feel 'normal' -- I mean, what the hetero world thinks of as 'normal,' I get way depressed. Hetero-normative to me, means our oppressors, the bigots, the capitalist bloodsuckers, the patriarchal power-hungry homophobic rulers and bosses. Everything I don't want to be.

#4 DesertTortoise, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm a bit unclear on the issue. Are you concerned because you're focussing on being "non-flaming" (non-flammable?) rather than on just being yourself? Or are you reluctant to adopt new behaviours that match your new understanding of yourself?

I suppose that, in both cases, you may just be just a bit too self-conscious. For myself, if I have changed at all (and I have) it is primarily a function of removing inhibitions that I had imposed on myself. Perhaps calling these inhibitions is too strong, let's say that I matched my appearance and behaviour with my understanding of myself at the time.

Accepting that I am gay has meant that I can be myself just that much more, and that I am allowed to take pleasure in dressing better or feeling more comfortable in my own skin. I am not significantly more "flaming" by any means, but I'm not afraid anymore to cross my legs "that way" if it is more comfortable, or to dress a bit more freely...more to say that I have given myself permission to care about these things.