1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia/Lack of sleep

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Daydream Harp, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Daydream Harp

Under a week ago I broke up with my boyfriend (and I don't wish to go into further detail), and since then my sleep schedule have been even worse than it already was. It has gone from "staying up all night because it's calm and better than being up in the day when it's noisy" to "oh god why can't I fall asleep". Today for example, I went to bed at 3am, couldn't get a second of sleep, so now at 8am I am sitting up again, feeling completely wide awake and well, but I know it can't be good for my heart in the long run if it continues like this, and I fear I might start developing Insomnia.

Anybody got any good advice to share?

2. StephenSC

In time things will get back to normal.

By the sounds of it you didn't have a regular sleep pattern? If you did I would suggest you try keep the same schedule for sleeping, no sleeping when you shouldn't (as counter productive as it seems, really helps you get back into a normal pattern) I often have huge issues sleeping, that is the biggest help.

A few other things. Be completely relaxed before even trying to sleep, do something that calms you. Take a nice warm shower or have a hot chocolate, do whatever you can to relax and wind down. Also no TV/Phone/Tablet/Laptop in the bedroom, don't use them while in bed and remove the temptation to have a quick look on the net/facebook ect, because you can't sleep. It can also be helpful to get off them for awhile before trying to sleep.