1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is college really much more accepting?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PalestrinaMX, Dec 7, 2013.

1. PalestrinaMX

I'll be attending my first semester of college in January as a freshman :0, I'm 22, but felt I wasn't ready for college due to personal issues.

I'm really excited for college, and was wondering if the students tend to be more accepting in general?

I would have never come out in high school, and glad I didn't because I can still remember people being so ignorant about gay people.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends which one, but by and large yes.

3. photoguy93

It obviously isn't if you got to some super religious school or something....but typically, it's the amount of f*cks given is below 0. People just don't care as much! I go to a local public university - it's a combination school of two big state schools - that kind of thing. Honestly, people just go for school. No one really gives a shit.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I agree. Sometimes, I think going a few years later helps. I could have used some time off to better formulate what I was going to do.

A big public university in a liberal urban area, or even a liberal college town, will be a snap. You can choose to be as involved or as invisible as you like, or mix it up. Some smaller schools where everyone knows everyone might be less so.

5. Gen

Gen

Judgement is still dealt in college as it would be anywhere else. The thing about college is that it isn't as in your face as grade schools.You will still have your fair share of people who are shallow, homophobia, rude, etc; they will just be less likely to care enough to make a big deal about the things they disagree with.

As with everything else in the world, just focus on the people you enjoy and don't waste time thinking about those you don't.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Form my experience, absolutely. Of course there's a few jackasses who act like high schoolers, but those are mostly the immature-type freshmen.

7. apostrophied

My university has over 30,000 students so no one gives a crap, honestly. Most of the people would never even know your name in a place like that. I guess it depends in the school, though.