1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoos and Engineering

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Goodnyte, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Goodnyte

Okay, I was wondering if any of you out there are engineers and if you have tattoos. If so, does it affect your ability to find a job and such. I am asking because I want to become an engineer when I am older and I plan on getting tattoos. My family is barking at me about how it will affect my ability to find a job. So, will it as a female engineer?

2. Gen

Gen

In most professional environments, tattoos only become a problem when they are in areas that can be easily covered up. As long as they aren't anywhere above the neck, below the wrists, or too low into the forearm, it shouldn't be an issue.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More important than anything is making sure you're great at what you do. Not just acceptable, but awesome. Tattoo policy varies depending on the company, but even if they don't like whatever visible tattoos you have, they might be willing to work with you if they can see you'll be very valuable to them.

4. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Yarp. Depends on where it is and the tattoo itself. Essentially, keep it somewhere that casual, formal or professional dress attire would hide it.

5. burg

as a fabricator id say its nearly a bonus.it depends on what kind of engineer you would like to be its a very broad term.and what kind of tattoo you get .if you wanted to be a chemical engineer say id say its fine if you can have it covered.

dont rush into tats tho find an idea for one you like and sit on it for a year.if you still like it at the end of the year then you should like it still like it in the longer term.

would like to know what kind of engineer you want to be?

6. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Also, not gonna lie, 14 is pretty young to consider something permanent. xD Just a thought. Particularly if it will be placed in an area that will forever change your opportunities in the professional world.

7. Goodnyte

I plan on becoming either a mechanical engineer or materials science engineer. As a mechanical engineer I want to either work with robots or weapons. I am also going to have a Computer Science degree

8. burg

nice goals :thumbsup: as long as at job interviews they cant see your tats. i cant see how it would be a problem.best not to tell your parents tho.

9. Goodnyte

Oh, my mom is already well aware of my plans of getting tattoos. She said once I'm out the house, graduated high school, and making my own money: she doesn't give a damn