1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling to a country that kills homosexuals

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by deadmau5ftw, Dec 10, 2013.

1. deadmau5ftw

So i just found out that next March I will be traveling to the UAE. I am very excited but I just have some concerns. Homosexuals receive the death penalty. I am just concerned, would they really kill a tourist? I am not flamboyant in any way, no one would guess that i'm gay but I am kind of scared. Anyone traveled to a country like the UAE?

2. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Many nations have very little control over the laws in other nations.

I would strongly urge toy not to visit UAE due to the risk unless it is absolutely necessary. I am certain many Americans, both gay and straight, visit the UAE every month but the possibility exists.

Look at the movies Mao's Last Dancer and A Mighty Heart for examples of the likelihood and power our country has in the land of another's. Both films are adapted from real-life events.

But if you do go, don't let that stop you! It's an incredible opportunity to see new places and I hope you find some exciting experiences awaiting you!

3. deadmau5ftw

Why would you urge me not to visit the UAE? It is for vacation and I am going with my dad. He doesn't know that i'm gay and I do not plan on being openly out for a long time.

4. apostrophied

I doubt they'd kill a foreigner but I don't know. I doubt you'll get into trouble if you don't "do anything," simply because they'll never know you're gay. I doubt people will ask anything since you're only 16, but if they do, just tell them you're waiting for the right girl. Do not utter the word "gay," and refrain from visiting gay websites, maybe. Just to be on the safe side, you know...

Enjoy your trip, it sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime!

5. deadmau5ftw

I do not plan on doing anything considering I am going with my dad, and he cannot know that I am gay. Ya, I use the "right girl" thing all the time. :lol: Ya I will for sure not go to any of those websites, that's for sure.

Thanks! :grin:

6. apostrophied

It's surely not the safest place in the world for an American. If you stay within your compound or whatnot, it's far better than if you walk around the city with no security or whatever. Ex-pats living there typically live in gated, secured compounds in order to be safe.

7. deadmau5ftw

Well my dad and I will be in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, we do not plan on going anywhere else. I think you might be thinking of another country. The major cities do not have compounds or anywhere in the country, I think. The UAE is very modern and safe compared to other countries in the Middle East.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would check up on the exact wording of the UAE's laws regarding homosexuality, to be 100% sure what you can and can't do. Better safe than sorry. I'm positive that sexual contact would be forbidden, as well as public displays of affection. I'm not sure if you can be openly gay in countries like that either, or if you can even say something positive about a gay person (Like in Russia), so I'd keep your personal life on the down low while you're there, and if anyone asks any strange questions for some odd reason, don't say anything that may raise suspicion. With all that said I hope you have a wonderful vacation. :slight_smile:

9. deadmau5ftw

Well I don't plan on doing anything with any guy that is for sure. Public displays of affection are banned even for straight couples, so that is no issue. I have no plan to be openly gay when I go, since I can't be open until I can support myself (since my dad is homophobic). Thanks! :slight_smile:

10. DesertTortoise

Why would you want to go there?

Why not refuse, and explain why?

What if they killed anyone with your mother's maiden name? Or members of your family, except you? Would that make it worth while to take the job?

Why do you want to become part... any part... of the oppressive murderous homophobic system that makes our lives (around the world, if not in a few protected cities in the U.S.)... short, miserable and without recognition for what we are?

Why?

Why?

... unless you believe--without rationalization, that you can change that. Even if it would put you at risk? Otherwise--you are complicit with their policies. That's not a judgement of you. It's a statement of fact. Of how power works.

Your choice.

Which side are you on?

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2013 at 11:12 PM ----------

Lemme say, I totally despise those who advise you to.. you know, just go, cause it's a great career move for you. They are rationalizing murder. They are willing instruments of our Empire of Money and Death. House slaves supporting the exploitation of the field workers. Enemies of all queers everywhere, except for the servants of the homophobic power elite.

If they so HATE queers, why are they on this forum? Maybe cause they're NSA, dividing us against our own interests?

#10 DesertTortoise, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. Sully

Wow! Some intense comments in this thread.

Just go, be straight, realise that nothing bad will happen, enjoy the opportunity to see another country/culture.

I've been through both Abu Dhabi airport and Dubai airport. They don't have gay patrols! As I said, just be straight.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 07:26 PM ----------

Wow! Some intense comments in this thread.

Just go, be straight, realise that nothing bad will happen, enjoy the opportunity to see another country/culture.

I've been through both Abu Dhabi airport and Dubai airport. They don't have gay patrols! As I said, just be straight.

12. sammy1

I would NEVER EVER EVER go to a place where homosexuality gets the fucking death penalty! Even if it was for work i personally would refuse! If just one local person even suspects that you are gay most likely they would call the cops on you and who knows what would happen then!? Do u want to risk your life going there? Also one last thing I know a (straight) couple who went there for a wedding and they got thrown in jail because someone saw them unplug an ATM to try and get their card out of the machine because it was stuck in it! They explained why they did that and the police didn't give 2 shits sent them to jail right away!

Please don't go! There are so many other beautiful places to visit that don't have that ridiculous law! So why go to UAE?

#12 sammy1, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll be fine, really. OK, the law on gay people is pretty messed up, but the chances of you being subjected to it is precisely zero.

Because, in practice, the people over there are not insane. They're huge international hubs of trade and commerce, with moderate to good relations with the western world and killing other countries' citizens on the basis of laws that are pretty controversial internationally in the first place would be quite unwise.

Also, they aren't in posession of a secret way to learn if people are gay. In fact, in some middle-eastern countries it's quite acceptable for two men to walk over the street hand in hand, without people assuming more than that you're just two friends having a conversation. So short of finding you in bed with another guy, they don't have any means to find you out in the first place.

Of course, I wouldn't advocate testing the bounds either. Hooking up with local people and making a big fuss over it, or starting a pride association is pretty likely to grant you a swift revocation of your visa and a request to leave and never come back, I'm sure.

But still... I wouldn't worry too much. Go as a tourist, feast your eyes, and have fun first and foremost!

14. apostrophied

Folks, relax, he's only going for a vacation! And for Pete's sake, he's a closeted 16-year-old, how can you expect to tell his dad, "Sorry dad, I can't come on this trip that you invited me on because I am gay and i refuse to support a country and culture that stigmatizes me and my community. Maybe next time when you take me to San Fran!"?! Nothing is going to happen to OP, and someone above confirmed my suspicion that they'd never do anything to a foreigner anyway.

Do you guys buy gas? Then you are just as "guilty" as OP for supporting this homophobic culture. Have fun pedalling!

OP just go and enjoy yourself, you have nothing to fear. You're overreacting a little bit. :wink:

15. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey OP

I think some people have over reacted to your original post.

Basically you will be fine.

I don't know the actual law there but I think the only risk is if you do something with another guy AND in a public place - which even gets heterosexual people in trouble.

It does not sound at all like you are going in that direction !!! So I'd relax and have a good time !

I went to Dubai and felt totally safe

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're 16 and going with your dad on vacation, not moving there with your boyfriend. Go and enjoy yourself. Would I go wearing a Pride shirt or cruising for anonymous hookups? No, but you probably wouldn't do that on a vacation with your dad anyway.

17. apostrophied

18. wowiemio

Don't worry about going to the UAE, I have been there many times and going again next month.
    It's a nice country and you won't have any troubles there. If you mind your own business and don't do anything "gay" publicly (kissing or showing affection) it will be smooth

And don't worry they won't kill you either

this are actual cases of men getting caught while having sex (from wikipedia):

In 2011, two men were caught having sex in a car and were sentenced to a year each in prison. Both men were to be deported following their prison terms.[15]

In 2012, police arrested two Indian men for having consensual sex in a public toilet at a bus station. Both were jailed for six months each and will be deported following their prison terms.[16]

In the same year, a 28 year old British man who drunkenly had sex with another man in public were both sentenced to three years in jail followed by deportation.[17]

so i don't think you should be worried that much

19. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ... and I love your cat avatar !!

20. deadmau5ftw

haha good thing! I guess I will!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 03:39 PM ----------

I mean my dad doesn't know that I am gay and he is the one who surprised me with the trip. It is an extremely nice gesture of him since we aren't that close.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 03:42 PM ----------

Ya some people don't seem to understand that.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 03:42 PM ----------

Awesome :grin: good to know!

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 03:45 PM ----------

Ya i am pretty sure that that DesertTortoise is on some sort of drug. I agree with everything you said to him.

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 03:47 PM ----------

Ya i am for sure not going to do anything gay XD and thanks :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 03:47 PM ----------

Thanks! I love his face, it kills me every time I see it!! XD

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2013 at 03:52 PM ----------

Dude. Did you even attempt to read my post? or did you just read the title? Your questions don't make any sense whatsoever. Try reading sometime, it will help.