1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to figure out living arrangements (for college)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by josh9623, Dec 10, 2013.

1. josh9623

I am planning to attend college in New York, and have been looking into my possibilities as far as living arrangements, and my original plan was to visit my sister over summer and try to get a job and apartment but I came to the realization that I probably won't be able to get an apartment then as I turn 18 in September. My mom was trying to get me to live on campus to save money but it is just as expensive, with fewer liberties. I did the math and to pay rent and have money for food, water, etc. I would need to make ~$650 a week after taxes.

Does anyone have any advice or magic to share?

PS: I don't think my sister would want me to crash on her air mattress for more than a couple / few weeks

2. Skov

I would recommend living on campus for two reasons: 1. You will meet friends with the people you live by in the dorms. 2. Convenience. I just moved off campus this year (only a 15 min walk from the edge) and it is a lot more of an inconvenience to visit friends, study late, etc. Honestly I thought living in the dorms would suck, but I miss it so much now. The dorms really are awesome!

3. photoguy93

I have no particular experience in this, but from my friends and what I do know in general - I'd live on campus.

If you were going to, say... Backwoods University, in Nomansland, I'd say that you should get an apartment - it's almost always cheaper. However, in New York, it's a much different story. If you're talking about New York State, that's a slightly different story, but if you mean the city...then definitely stay on campus.