1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I decided not to got to uni next year.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jeneric, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Jeneric

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I posted on here a couple of days ago about my potential course load at uni. It's kind of amazing that I could go from talking about subjects to deciding not to go! I am amazing :grin:

I'm going to go into more detail on my situation below, but what I'd like is some advice on how to break this news to my family, especially my mum. They're all fairly keen on me going to university.

I don't really know what I want to do with myself. The only two things that I'm sure about are that I want to travel and I want to help people. That's all I've got right now. The course I was going to do (B of Arts) sounded okay but I wasn't sure where I wanted to take it. I don't want to go and rack up thousands of dollars worth of debt when I'm not sure.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of my uni experience. I don't have to love my course from day one but I want it to feel right. I've started and left two courses that I hated and I'd rather not do that again.

Right now I'm thinking about midwifery. I could travel to developing nations and really make a difference. I'd need to do some bridging programs but I'm fine with that. It's explaining this all to my family. Since I did so well in high school it seems all my family is expecting me to just get it together. I just want it to be right.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell them that, just what you told us, but before you do it, look into your options, any options. Things you are interested in.

Your key thing is to make sure they understand that you're not just backing out because of fear or laziness. If it's not right for you, then that's perfectly fair, but you need to show them you have some sort of direction and if you think midwifery might be it, then start looking into it before you tell them

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if you're not sure what you want to do there's no reason to plunge yourself into uni. It's much better to wait it out and work out what you actually want to study and how to get yourself into the course you want. I guess you don't have to know the path you want to take in life, but at least settle on a subject you could see yourself studying for 3 years.

A month or so ago my school was pressuring me to get in my uni application, and I certainly wasn't 100% sure of what I wanted to do and wasn't 100% confident in my application/personal statement... I just thought screw this, I am taking as long as I need to think about this because it's 3-5 years of my life for perhaps 3 weeks of theirs. It's my future so it should be entirely my decision. So don't feel as though you owe your parents or your school anything in terms of making a decision!