1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I move out to live with my sister or stay with my parents?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Dec 13, 2013.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So today my dad knocked on my door and said he needs to borrow money
    for me I told him I didnt have any money and that I only have $40
    which I really do and then he said how is in your savings I said a lot
    but that was my moving out money and I cant keep on giving people
    money I worked my ass off saving this money. Anyways my dad needed
    $1,000 for my moms credit card bill I was pretty mad because when I
    needed tuition for school my dad said (lied) that he didnt have any
    money or a credit card, he just didnt want to pay then. My dad said he is going to pay me back the money within a month, I sensed that he saw my face and then he said he is going to add $100 to $1,100. Then my dad said that my sister is getting a new place, a townhouse with 3 bedrooms and the people that will be living there so far is my sister her boyfriend and her daughter who is 5. My dad said he isn't forcing me to make a decision but wants me to think about it. He also added that it would be good for me to be on my own and be a little more independent. Which I understand.

My issues are this if I stay with my parents I still cant participate in LGBT
    events, not really searching for my own spiritual path. Also not
    trying to find myself. Pretty much the same things that jehovahs
    witnesses cant do because my parents are devout jehovahs witness. But I get to save more money and I would have my own bathroom.
    NOW
    If I stay with my sister and her family, my niece is spoiled rotten
    with a smart mouth she is very loud she has a ton of energy. Also I bet my sister
    is going to have me babysit her all the time and I don't want to do that! I don't mind once in awhile but Im not going to be babysitting her on the regular. Also my niece she gets sick a lot including vomiting which I honestly have a fear of seeing someone else
    vomiting when I'm right in front of them. My sister can be very loud
    and I wouldn't be surprise if my sister and her boyfriend start fighting. Plus Im going to continue to go to school and one semester Im going to be going to school full time and I need to study. I also get pretty annoyed easily at times when I'm stressed.

On the other hand I can pretty much be myself, and create (finding)
    myself. I can do whatever I want, go see rated R movies hang posters
    on my walls, going to LGBT events making friends who aren't jehovahs
    witness. I don't have to tell wear Im going every time I leave the
    house. Trying to find a spiritual path and practice it and being more adventurous too.

However with my job in all right now I'm only working 2 days a week! So I wont be making alot of money. What is so interesting and surprising is that my dad said that he and my mom will help out. Yet my dad is somewhat known by me is that when he says he is going to do something, sometimes he never does it. The thing of it is I feel like my parents were talking to each other and speaking to my sister to really get me out of the house, because my parents are going to be moving out of this house since the rent is getting WAY expensive. So they really want me out of this house so they can invite people from their congregation over to dinner parties etc.

So I was thinking would it be a good idea if I moved into the townhouse with my sister my niece and my sisters boyfriend and if I need to study or need a break in that townhouse to spend the night at my parents house? or to stay at my parents so I can save more money?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neither of those options are any good frankly.

If I had to choose I would say go with whichever one lets you save the most money then MOVE INTO YOUR OWN PLACE.

Seriously, trading your parents for someone who you think is going to act like your parents isn't going to work. What's the point in moving out of your parents house if you can't be yourself and do what you want to do? You may as well stay...

Having said that, do you actually pay your parents any rent at the moment? If not, you might want to consider it so your dad doesn't have to ask you for money all the time...

3. Foster

On the other hand I can pretty much be myself, and create (finding)
    myself. I can do whatever I want, go see rated R movies hang posters
    on my walls, going to LGBT events making friends who aren't jehovahs
    witness. I don't have to tell wear Im going every time I leave the
    house. Trying to find a spiritual path and practice it and being more adventurous too.

Now I can't tell you what you should do. You need to decide where you'll be happier and feel the most comfortable. However, it kinda sounds like if you stayed with your sister, you'll be able to be yourself more. So I suppose if I were in your shoes I would leave.

On a another note, I was also raised in the Jehovah's witness faith, and I'd say moving out of my mom's house was the best thing I ever did. I gained so much confidence and began to accept myself more. That however is my experience. Yours may be different. Either way, good luck!!!! :slight_smile:

4. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats true with living with my sister and her family (her bf & daughter).

Plus my sister knows that Im gay and shes cool with it she also said she knew all along.

Rather with my parents they esp my mom said she always knew and said she loves me but will never accept me. That was when I was in high school but since then until this day they dont talk about it it seems that I didnt even tell them at all which is kind of frustrating.

5. Foster

Yeah. My mom doesn't know about my sexuality, mainly because I'm afraid of a bad reaction. Parents can be so frustrating. They say they'll love us no matter what, but as much as they may love us they don't always show it.......I'm in an environment now where I'm accepted for me and it really is a relief.

6. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lucky!
    I came out to my maternal grandmother this past June and she was an angel! Totally accepting, she told me she even wants to meet my future bf if I have one in the future.

lol she even suggested for me to gain a little weight and go to the gym and workout and hopefully meet someone.
    If only I knew her reaction Ive would've moved to Chicago where she lived. Right now shes living in Alabama and Chicago she goes back and forth.

I stay with my parents now but my sister and my niece just came in and my niece who is 5 was just all over the place and loud. Now Im totally in a dilemma now.

I notice when you make decisions your sacrificing something. If I stay with my parents I really cant be myself and do whatever I want. If I stay with my sister Im giving up my peace of mind.

7. Foster

Wow, that's great that your grandmother was so accepting!!! :slight_smile: I've never had a close relationship with any of my grandparents (both sets kinda abused my parents, so there's that). But hey, I have people who love me and that's what matters. Sometimes the people you least expect to be there for you are the ones who end up caring the most :slight_smile:

I guess there are always trade offs when making a decision like this. I think you need to think long and hard about it and consider all the pros and cons. Also, if you do decide living with your sister might be an option, you should talk to her before hand about the privacy issue. You need to have your own room that is off limits to your little sister, and make it clear that you don't want to babysit all the time. If that's what you decide of course. Even if you decide to stay with your parents, it won't be for forever. You've managed to survive thus far, I'm sure you could continue to make it work. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck :grin:

8. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Vicious family circle if it makes you feel better almost everybody has a family like that.
    I think I might move with my sister and if I get annoyed over there I'll stay at my parents house once in a while.
    My resolutions for 2014 is going to be changes and experiencing life and have adventures. and so I really can't do that while living at my parents house if I choose to stay. I will be turning 23 next year and I feel that I need to experience life and catch up.
    Thanks for wishing me luck! : )