1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My attraction for women manifests as jealousy because I can't accept my sexuality

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lexx, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Lexx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was deeply shamed and threatened by my mother when I told her I was bisexual when I was around 15 or 16. I am now 26 and still cannot accept my sexuality. I hate it and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm massively repressed and feel like I'm still going through puberty because I've never had the chance to sort of "desensitize" myself to attractive women.

I get insanely jealous if I think my male partner is looking at other women, if I think he finds another woman attractive, and if I knew he masturbated thinking about another women, I'd probably feel like I wanted to die. I know this is massively unreasonable and unhealthy, and I totally and completely acknowledge how messed up that is.

The thing is, I look at women probably more than he does. I find most women attractive, it feels like a powerful sexual attraction, and I have fantasized about being with other women, though I've no desire to actually live these fantasies out in reality. Although I can intellectually grasp that finding other people sexually attractive is natural, I cannot seem to grasp it on an emotional level. I get angry at myself so quickly if I have a thought that tells me, "Look, it's okay to look or fantasize", be that myself OR my partner.

I had strong religious influences from my School during puberty, which only served to further repress me, sex-wise, entirely: men and women. Even though I am now an atheist, my puberty years were full of me repenting after thinking any sexual "sinful" thought whatsoever, so I ended up glorifying love and pure Christian loyalty and trying to bottle up my sexual feelings. I feel like I am am still recovering from this, despite knowing how insane it felt to pray and apologize for my natural urges.

During my reading a self-help book about jealousy, I have come to realize that I am actually projecting my "unfaithful" thoughts onto my partner, when in reality, it is me who is the "mentally unfaithful" one. I feel guilty for my fantasies.

Sometimes my partner has expressed not knowing why I chose him - taking into account some of his interests, and kinds of entertainment that involves attractive women, things which don't mix well with my jealousy - and I've also come to realize that I desire him because I feel in a sense that I am living out a huge part of my OWN personality and desires through him, because I do not feel I can do so myself.

I think part of me envies him when he has watched something with an attractive woman in it, because deep down, I want to do that, but feel I just can't. I feel too ashamed.

My question is: How do you come to terms with your sexuality after having endured so much shame, guilt and damnation from others / parents?

How long did it take you? Do you feel completely comfortable with your attraction, and what helped that process?

Many thanks if you read this. <3 Even more if you respond.

#1 Lexx, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. william123

I am completely in the same boat. For the longest time, perhaps 6 or 7 years I was in denial about this. About my sexuality. I am a gay man (or maybe bisexual) who is just starting to take into account my sexuality and romantic nature.

For you, it was a religious context. For me, I have been hammered through the mental health system which can equally take its toll I'm sure. But I know what it's like to have conflicting mental and emotional signals tearing you apart.

The answer is, slowly but surely getting support. Find some way so you can just openly say "I'm gay" or "I'm bisexual", but do it when you're ready. Otherwise it won't be an authentic experience (in my opinion) and it won't have meant much. But finding ways to express yourself is key (again, in my opinion).

In the wise words of someone else who comes on here, "keep at it, keep posting", you are in a good place for figuring some of this stuff out. So good for you for coming. I know what it's like though to not feel ready either, so feel free to do it in your own good time.

You will sort it all out, believe me. Best of luck! :grin: