1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Baha'i and Homosexual?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SriManayaDasan, Dec 14, 2013.

1. The Baha'i faith claims that it is in perfect harmony with science. Science has evidence that homosexuality is epigenetic/genetic and is found in nature. Yet, traditionally, Baha'i frowns upon homosexuality and says it can be "cured"; as if it is a disease. Or, more appropriately, a "spiritual handicap". Now, while this is the official stance, there are varying degrees of acceptance of LGBT Baha'is in the faith.

How can Baha'i claim to be 100% compatible with science if they condemn something found in nature? Branching from this, can one be gay while in a monogamous, loving relationship and still be accepted as a Baha'i?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is because of the traditionalist culture of where Baha'i developed and general ignorance of science (not just among Baha'is but for most people).

3. Incognito10

Science, as you know, is always changing and evolving through new discoveries and technologies, therefore, if the Baha'i faith is to be in harmony with nature and science, they must also be in consideration of what the medical and scientific community asserts regarding homosexuality...

I am not familiar with the Baha'i faith and do not wish to devalue it or any other religion, but the main rule I would follow is asking myself if a religion tells me something, that is not consistent with scientific fact, or what is generally accepted as truth by science, I have to ask myself if what I am being told is merely man-made.

#3 Incognito10, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't tell you what works for you, but what works for me is trusting internal divine inspiration. What I mean is that God (whichever one you choose) gives each of us the wisdom and ability to decide what is right. I feel free to disregard anything I know in my heart is wrong, such as persecution/denunciation of homosexuality. So if the rest of Baha'i feels right for you but their opinion of gays is a hangup, you're allowed to ditch that single piece which doesn't fit with the rest.

Maybe I'm outside the curve, but I can't consider religion to be a railroad-style path to purity. It usually works as guidelines, but strict adherence to ALL established tenets just because they're there might mean it's not helping you; you're using it as a crutch to get through life without having to introspect and grow your character.