1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the un-gay scene?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by skiff, Dec 15, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

We are all familiar with the gay scene. The serial monogamy (cheating), the bed hopping, the trolling for sex, the shallowness, the artificial veneer...

Where is the un-gay scene? A culture that doesn't look like it evolved from the novel "Lord of the Flies" where all the characters are Jack.

Could somebody point out where those gays hang out?

Thanks,
    Skiff

2. LD579

Perhaps at any place besides bars and clubs (Not to generalize). I feel the need to point out that the same attitude is common for straight people as well at those kinds of venues. You could try local meetup groups... Otherwise, they may just be out and about but not really congregating at any one specific area.

3. Incognito10

This is largely going to depend on where you live (i.e. major urban area vs. rural area). I live near a major city and there are all sorts of networking and groups available for gay men (i.e. a huge gay men's chorus, large accepting churches, a lot of the agencies have LGBT groups for employees, amateur sports teams and many other niche groups that are far removed from the bar, club or online hookup atmosphere. For example, I've met with the LGBT group from work and I sometimes forget I am among other gays as there really is no "scene" associated with it. Also, I have kind of noticed most people who involve themselves in these groups do not partake in the actions you mention as it would not be appropriate to or conducive to the desired and intended purpose of the group.

#3 Incognito10, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. AKTodd

I checked the Meetup.com site for LGBT groups within 50mi of Salem, MA and a whole bunch of groups came up (50+ if I did my math right). A fair cross-section of them seem to be men's groups or non-gender specific. Of course, you'd need to read through the list to determine which might meet your interests and distance requirements.

In addition, (and as I mentioned on another thread), my partner and I recently joined a group called Prime Timers. They are a gay men's social group for more mature guys and have a chapter in Boston. The group we are part of does monthly meetings with a different topic of discussion each month, a Thanksgiving and Xmas potluck, donates to the foodbank, and has a booth at our local Pride event (which is how we ended up joining).

I'm probably one of the youngest in the group, but everyone seems nice and has been friendly to both of us so far. There are other couples in the group (at least one married, I think, since next month's meeting topic is love and marriage, per the newsletter) although we haven't had a chance to meet everyone yet.

Anyway, hope this helps,

Todd