1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to drop a supportive comment?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Magnus Bane, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I get on relatively well with the majority of the custodial staff where I'm at. One of them recently transitioned MTF, which was kind of a big deal with the other staff, and I want to be supportive. However, I am a student, and she is like a bajillion years older than me, so on a peer-to-peer level I don't know how to say something polite and nice.
    What might I do? Would it be kind to compliment her clothes, or what? I want to avoid being intrusive, because I mostly only know her on a name-and-hi-in-the-hallways basis.
    Thanks!!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you WANT to say to her. What is floating around in your head that you need to tell this woman that made you post here?

Complimenting her clothes? Only if you really mean it. It's lovely to hear as long as you say it right.

3. Nick07

Sometimes a simple smile is a great way to give support. You can start there :slight_smile: You will let her know that way that she has made your day nicer.

4. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I guess what I really *want* to say to her is: I'm really impressed that you came out to all your coworkers, and everyone, and it really heartens me that you felt comfortable doing it, at this time of life, and given the less-than-overly aware coworkers. I think you are really courageous, and what you have done makes me have a better outlook on things.
    I think that's kinda what I want to say, but I doubt I'd have the guts to actually go and say all of it...

5. Nick07

What about dropping a note in her mailbox? I would definitely do something. You never know. She may remember those words for a long time. Don't ever miss the opportunity to make someone happy. It may seem like a small things for you, but the other person may find it a lifesaver.
    It happened to me twice. Strangers gave me support by something that seemed very simple, but it meant a world to me at that time.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I like your shoes" ?
    :/

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How bout if someone gives her any crap, you stick up for her?

8. Munyal

Supportive notes are really nice. Also, just tell her she looks nice. It doesn't have to be flirtatious.

9. biggayguy

I think just this would make a lovely note. I would leave her age out of it>